Buit In's and flooring

Old 05-02-05, 10:10 AM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest
Built In's and flooring

I am presently renovating my basement and at some time would love to have built in cabinets.

I am presently installing laminate flooring. Here is the question. Should I lay the flooring all the way to the walls and eventually build the built-ins right over the flooring or leave the cutout for the built in's at a later date?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-05, 05:17 PM
Either is fine.

In Europe, cabinets are often considered as furniture and go with the previous occupant when he/she leaves. This is particularly true with rentals and condos in some countries.

Old 05-03-05, 08:21 AM
cut later

I would install to the wall. Who knows what might delay your building of the cabinets. You can always cut back the laminate at a later date.

Old 05-09-05, 10:40 PM
Individual laminate manufacturers tend to have very specific instructions about acclimation, floor prep, and installation. Pick your laminate product first & then follow the manufacturer's recommended instructions. Some say don't install cabinets over laminate. Do your research and make an informed decision. For instance, DuPont says do not install cabinets over laminate flooring. Laminate flooring should be installed up to the front of the cabinets leaving a to inch expansion space. Silicone sealant should be used to fill-in expansion space in all possible wet areas such as icemakers, dishwashers and sink areas.

Thus, pick your product and then prepare for what you are up against and, please, follow manufacturers instructions in order to not void any warranties. If you are installing in a basement, there must be concrete. You most definitely need to address any moisture issues or vapor emissions. There tend to be very specific instructions for installation over concrete and requirements for vapor retarders.

Do your homework. Be prepared to make a wise decision for your product. Be prepared to know what you will need to do to install your product. Educate yourself before making any final purchase decisions. And, memorize all installation instructions. If you have questions, most major companies have customer service numbers. The major manufacturers tend to have installation instructions online. If you are looking at a product that was manufactured somewhere we don't know and there is no USA customer service number, then you should find a different product. Remember: You get what you pay for.

Search this Thread