T&G Plywood

Old 05-04-05, 07:22 AM
T&G Plywood

I am putting down T&G plywood subfloor with joists on 16" centers. I have been told to leave 1/8" gap at the ends. I have also been told it is ok to butt the T&G side tight.

If I need expansion clearance on the ends why not on the sides too?

I am planning to screw it down 6" on center at the ends and 12" in the field. Is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-05, 07:34 AM
Thumbs up

Go for it. But we still just nail it down and use the liquidnail on every joist. It pays

ED

Old 05-04-05, 08:05 AM
If I need expansion clearance on the ends why not on the sides too?

Old 05-04-05, 04:43 PM
Sub Flooring

T & G Plywood only expands lengthwise becasue of the way it is made. Have a good rubber hammer available to slide the T&G together sight. Make sure you run a good strip of glue down each joist before screwing it down. Good Luck

Old 05-04-05, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
Make sure you run a good strip of glue down each joist before screwing it down. Good Luck
Ed says to use liquidnail. What kind of glue do you recommend, jack?

Old 05-04-05, 06:33 PM
T & G

Liuqid Nails is just fine. Probably what I would use.

Old 05-09-05, 10:10 PM
Please use liquid nails and screw down plywood. You don't want squeaks. There is nothing worse than squeaky floors. You want to install with screws because nails tend to back out.

Leave a gap along the wall at least 1/2" wide to allow for expansion and contraction. If you install it tightly against the wall, the floor could bellow up in places due to expansion issues. Also leave a gap between sheets of plywood about 1/8" wide for this same reason.

Stagger the joints of the plywood from those of any existing subfloor. Also, line the sheets so the edges can be screwed into the joists, not just the subfloor alone. Before installing the plywood, snap chalklines where the joists fall below the subfloor. This will make it easier to line up the plywood and screw directly into the joists.

You did not indicate what type of floor covering you were planning to install. When you get to that part of your project post back in the appropriate forum.