Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How Many Studs Needed?

MO

05-07-05, 06:13 PM   #1  
How Many Studs Needed?

I'm going to help friend fame his basement which will include 2-3 rooms plus the main wide open area. We are looking at about 2100 sq' including the rooms. Is there a rule of thumb for estimating the number of studs needed per 10 or 20 lineal feet? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

05-07-05, 06:36 PM   #2  
Well, 8' of wall would take a minimum of 9 studs (top plate, bottom plate, 7 studs on 16" centers). But you'll use a couple more at every doorway, corner, and partition wall.

Remember that any wood in contact with cement needs to be pressure treated, and some codes require stainless steel nails in that wood.

TX

05-07-05, 09:07 PM   #3  
It's not just endless walls...most openings will have double or triple studs on the door openings. When considering electrical service or other utilities, sometimes an extra stud is inserted to put the switch or receptacle at the appropriate location if 16" O.C. leaves it too far or too close to an opening in the wall.
Depending on existing items already in the basement such as plumbing, lighting, etc. there may be needs to frame around them rather than imbedding them in the wall.

05-07-05, 11:14 PM   #4  
! per ft of wall,+10%, + your top and bottom plate stock.

MO

05-08-05, 06:51 AM   #5  
Thanks for all of your help. We are using treated for the bottom plate,both plates will be 10'

OH

05-09-05, 09:49 PM   #6  
If friend lives in area where building codes are enforced and permits required, it is best to present basement plans to local building inspector. We have had forum posts where members had to tear out basement remodels before putting house on market because job was not permitted and/or not to code. One of the saddest posts was from a realtor who listed a house who had such a basement project and wanted to know what to do. For instance, if bedroom is in basement, egress window is required. There are also specific requirements about using pressure treated wood for sill plates and more.

SD

05-10-05, 03:18 AM   #7  
How many Studs

If I built the wall, it would take 12 studs if they were 16" on center, with no openings. This does not include any sill plates. Good Luck

05-10-05, 06:05 PM   #8  
What I do is to take the linear feet of all the walls, multiply by 0.75 then add one extra stud for each individual wall, followed by 2 for each door, window for criples and 2 for each corner, since corners will typically have 3 studs. Figure your top and bottom plates in linear feet of each wall divided by the longest 2x4 you can use to make a continuous plate, and determine the # of 8, 12, or 16 ft 2x4's you need for the plates. Then there is the number of studs you need to cut down for the bottom of windows, which you will have to determine ofcourse by the size of the windows.

SD

05-10-05, 07:13 PM   #9  
How many studs?

I made a mistake. It would only take me 11 studs. I don't know why I said 12.

FL

05-13-05, 08:05 AM   #10  
Posted By: coyotehills I'm going to help friend fame his basement which will include 2-3 rooms plus the main wide open area. We are looking at about 2100 sq' including the rooms. Is there a rule of thumb for estimating the number of studs needed per 10 or 20 lineal feet? Thanks for any help.
A stud generally goes every 16", just take 20' x 12" = 240" / 16" = 15, plus one extra for the end makes 16 studs for a 20' wall. You can use the same method and just add up the total length of all the walls, then divide for the number of studs, remember to add 1 additional stud for every wall unit.

For the top and bottom plates, you can either go by total length, or you can puzzle it together. For example, you could use a 12' and an 8', or two 10's, etc. If you go by total length, use the average length of the walls you are building. There is no point getting 12' boards when your longest wall is 8', you'll be cutting down (and wasting) a lot of material.

You should definately have all this drawn out on paper and make up your materials list.

As already mentioned, a permit is likely required, and there are specific requirements if you will be including a bedroom (a bedroom is defined as any room with a closet (even if it's not used for sleeping, if it has a closet, it's considered a bedroom).

Search this Thread