Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

4x4 header for a 6' foot span in a NON bearing wall

05-17-05, 12:32 PM   #1  
4x4 header for a 6' foot span in a NON bearing wall

My wife and I are doing a kitchen remodel on our condo. We are on the second floor of a two story building. As part of our renovations, we wanted to expand the doorway (originally 36") between the living room and kitchen. This doorway was in a NON load-bearing wall. I completed the reframing this past weekend, but after describing the framing to a staff person at my local hardware store, I became concerned that it wouldn't be up to code.

The original framing had a 4x4 with cripple studs running up to the top plates, and then another piece of lumber above the top plates which was nailed to the ceiling nailer. In addition to wanting a wider opening, we also wanted a high opening, so I cut out the two top plates and put in a 4x4 header in their place flush with the lumber that was above the top plates. The 4x4 header is supported on either side by 4x4 posts, each of which is nailed flush to the adjoining 2x4 studs. (see pics)

http://mysite.verizon.net/~craigslis...s/IMG_1566.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/~craigslis...s/IMG_1567.JPG

The span is about 6 feet, and I know that if this were a load-bearing wall, then a 4x6 would have been necessary. I assumed that because it's non-bearing that a 4x4 would be sufficient.

I've left a message for my local building inspector to find out for sure, but in the meantime thought I'd check here to see if anyone knew.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Sponsored Links

MO

05-17-05, 12:39 PM   #2  
I don't think

you have any problems. Of course your building deptartment will verify but I think it is ok.

Search this Thread