24" joist centers

Old 05-23-05, 11:52 PM
JohnT
Visiting Guest
24" joist centers

I want to install 3/4" hardwood, prefinished strip flooring in my house. The thing that concerns me is that the house was built with 2x8 floor joists on 24" centers with 12' spans. The floor is noticably bouncy as you might assume and I am concerned as to what impact that would have on hardwood flooring.

I have installed some additional joists where I planned on doing some ceramic tile but installing them everywhere is not possible/pratical.

Should I be concerned? There is currently a 3/4" plywood sub-floor. Would another layer of sub-flooring help?

Thanks in advance,

John T

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 10:40 AM
hi
crosbriging would help also
divide the 12 feet by 4 you get 3
that menas you mark at 3feeet 6 fee and nine feet from the foundation wall and then pull a chack line across the joist and place you crosbridging there
should help alot in bouncing fllor
as for and other layer you will have to take in considaration the higher step ant the door entrance

Old 05-24-05, 10:41 AM
hi
crosbriging would help also
divide the 12 feet by 4 you get 3
that menas you mark at 3 feet 6 feet and 9 feet from the foundation wall and then pull a chack line across the joist and place you crosbridging there
should help alot in bouncing floor
as for and other layer you will have to take in considaration the higher step at the door entrance

Old 05-24-05, 03:44 PM
JohnT
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Do you think that would help enough without the extra layer of sub-floor or would that be a good idea if possible.

Cross bracing would be less expensive than another layer of sub-flooring. My primary concern is getting it done right or as best possible.

Thanks,

John T.

Old 05-25-05, 05:03 AM
hi
crossbridging does take the spring out
the only way to know is to try it
no matter you need crossbridging to re enforce the joists.
good luck

pg