OK to use hammer on nails in 50 year old studs?

Old 05-31-05, 01:16 PM
jcerri
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up OK to use hammer on nails in 50 year old studs?

I will be installing plywood shearwall panels in the cripple walls of our 50 yr-old house soon. Here in CA, some insurance companies require this before they will write a policy, being as we are in a high seismic-activity zone.

I've heard that trying to hammer in nails into old studs is hard to do. Current codes and standards require nails, not screws. Can a framing hammer be used or do you need a nail gun? Any other advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 04:46 PM
Why not pick up a 1# box of the nails that you will be using and try to drive a dozen of them into an area that won't show. If you end up bending several of the nails while sinking them, then a framing nailer is probably advisable.

Old 05-31-05, 06:09 PM
Nailing old Lumber

If the lumber is very hard, you will probably have to predrill a hole the size smaller then your nail, then nail into the hammer. A framing air nailer will do it for sure. Good Luck

Old 07-01-05, 10:54 AM
Old studs = bent nails

We did a major remodel and re-used some wood thar required nailing. Our studs were from 1969 and I believe are douglas fir.

They were so dry that 2 out of every 3 nails would bend. The air-nailer worked, and there was a spark for every one.

BTW - it also splits.

Old 07-01-05, 12:54 PM
Another approach would be construction staples (7/16-1/2" wide) also applied with a pneumatic stapler. Either the 1.5" or 2" leg length. They are 16-guage and less likely to split the old wood.