Dry rot floor joists

Old 06-08-05, 07:03 PM
wndrbob
Visiting Guest
Question Dry rot floor joists

Hello we just purchased a bank repo house in South Carolina. The house was built about 20 years ago from store bought plans. It is a brick veneer over woodframe. crawl space with rafters. All the brick work looks fine as does the rafters and roof. The problem is ALL yes all the floor joists have to be replaced. I am planing on doing this by ripping out the floors down to the joists then replace them one by one starting on one end and working toward the other. Does this sound like the correct way to approach this problem? the damage was coused by the previous owner blocking off all ventilation in crawlspace. Yes we knew it had this problem before we bought it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 07:04 PM
wndrbob

Although there are a variety of methods for replacing them, this is probably how I would do it. It is very safe, you can move at your own pace. I would probably put in the new floor joist nest to the rotted out one if possible first, then take the old one out. Good Luck. You will do just fine.

Old 06-10-05, 05:33 AM
wndrbob
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks for the thumbs up I know this is going to be anything but fun. I just think that doing it this way keeps me out of the crawl space....LOL
Bob

Old 06-22-05, 02:52 PM
better check that the sill plates don't have rot as well.

Old 06-22-05, 04:43 PM
Andrew R.
Visiting Guest
Unless the floor sheathing is rotted you would be ahead of the game to go under the houe and nail new ones beside the existing. I am a contravtor in Va. and have installed thousands of joists under houses. Generally labor and material 55.00 per joist up to 16' long. If the top of the existing are rotted and don't hold the subfloor sheathing anymore then your way is the only way.

Last edited by Andrew R.; 06-22-05 at 05:05 PM.