framing stairs for drywall

Old 06-18-05, 05:19 AM
framing stairs for drywall

We are currently remodeling our basement and are adding a wall along the existing stairs. The stringer on these stairs only runs beneath the stairs. What is the best way to frame these stairs to support drywall? All the books I've looked at show the walls along the stairs framed in a normal fashion and do mention how the drywall is supported along the edges of the stairs. We will be having to cut the drywall to fit along each step which is a real pain, but I don't see any other way to do it without ripping out the stairs to install a runner which we don't want to do. Assuming the drywall is cut along each step, how is the drywall supported along the edges? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 05:53 AM
Install the drywall to the bottom of the stringers prior to building the walls "under" the stringers.

Old 06-18-05, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately this won't work in our case. On one side there is a concrete wall that we are furring out and drywalling. The stringer is attached to the concrete wall so your suggestion won't work on that side. On the other side the upper part of the wall is framed and drywalled already since it is a basement stairwell. We want the lower part of the wall to be flush with this existing part. Thank you for your suggestion though!

Any other ideas?

Old 06-18-05, 06:24 PM
AHA! The plot thickins yet becomes clearer.

Originally Posted by widing
Unfortunately this won't work in our case. On one side there is a concrete wall that we are furring out and drywalling.The stringer is attached to the concrete wall so your suggestion won't work on that side.

So it would be illogical to suggest, let alone presume that, prior to installing the furring strips, you installed the DW to the underside of the stringers? Or, if you had already gotten ahead of yourself and instaled the furring, that you could cut it off 3/4" and then install the DW to the underside of the stringers?

[/QUOTE]On the other side the upper part of the wall is framed and drywalled already since it is a basement stairwell. We want the lower part of the wall to be flush with this existing part.[/QUOTE]

Then frame underneath it.

Old 06-18-05, 10:45 PM
We haven't done the furring yet. I think I have not made myself clear about how the stairs are laid out.

The existing stairway runs along the concrete foundation wall on one side. Half of that wall is finished already since it is part of the first floor and was done when they built the house 20 years ago. As part of finishing the basement, we plan on furring out the concrete foundation wall so that it is as flush as possible with the existing upper part of the wall. (It will end up sticking out around an inch farther than the upper part on that side.) On the other side of the stairs, the upper part is finished but its lower part is open to the unfinished basement. That side of the stairs will be finished with 2x4 framing and should end up being flush with the upper part of the stairs on that side.

I think we will end up installing angled backing in the 2x4 wall to support the edges of the drywall which will be notched around the stairs on both side walls. The carpet should cover the gaps.

Thank you for you advice Snoonyb!

Old 06-22-05, 02:45 PM
Andrew R.
Visiting Guest
Sounds like it would be easier to take the stairs out and reinstall new with proper skirting and trim