Replacing subfloor and bottom plate

Old 07-06-05, 11:26 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have some termite damage to an area of the wall framing and plywood subfloor. The area of damage is maybe 2 ft. x 4 ft. of subfloor adjacent to the exterior wall, and parts of a couple studs and the bottom plate in the exterior wall.

I can replace the studs pretty easily, my main concern is the subfloor and bottom plate. From what I can tell, going from the bottom up, there is the rim joist which supports the subfloor, and then the bottom plate is on top of that. The bottom plate is not directly over the rim joist, but overlaps it by about an inch. There is about 3ft. of the bottom plate that needs replacing, along with the subfloor in that area (including under the bottom plate). The rim joist is OK.

So my question is, what is the best way to get in there and replace the bottom plate and subfloor? It seems like if I remove the two studs, then I can cut out the damaged part of the bottom plate, and then cut out the damaged subfloor, although I'm not sure if/how I could get a saw in there. I'm sure this is a typical repair and the pros would know the easy way to do it, but it seems a bit tricky to me.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 07-19-05, 12:31 AM
devanagondi
Visiting Guest

Hi Rob,
I am in the same boat and need to replace some of the studs and the sill plate. Did you get any advise on this? I am wondering if it is safe to cut the lower 4-6 inches of studs spanning 2-3 ft and replace it with a 2x4 framing.
-Sreedhar

Originally Posted by RobN
I have some termite damage to an area of the wall framing and plywood subfloor. The area of damage is maybe 2 ft. x 4 ft. of subfloor adjacent to the exterior wall, and parts of a couple studs and the bottom plate in the exterior wall.

I can replace the studs pretty easily, my main concern is the subfloor and bottom plate. From what I can tell, going from the bottom up, there is the rim joist which supports the subfloor, and then the bottom plate is on top of that. The bottom plate is not directly over the rim joist, but overlaps it by about an inch. There is about 3ft. of the bottom plate that needs replacing, along with the subfloor in that area (including under the bottom plate). The rim joist is OK.

So my question is, what is the best way to get in there and replace the bottom plate and subfloor? It seems like if I remove the two studs, then I can cut out the damaged part of the bottom plate, and then cut out the damaged subfloor, although I'm not sure if/how I could get a saw in there. I'm sure this is a typical repair and the pros would know the easy way to do it, but it seems a bit tricky to me.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 07-19-05, 11:39 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I didn't receive any specific advice, however I was able to cut out and replace the damaged wood without having to completely remove support from any large area of framing. I did this by working in smaller sections, so that at any time I would only have one or two studs removed, and then I replaced the bottom plate and subfloor in that area. It may have been overly cautious, but that's better than taking out too much support and having something move, crack, warp, etc. You'd have to judge what looks "safe" to remove in your framing, or have a pro look at it if you're not sure.

BTW if you don't have a reciprocating saw, you will probably need one, it's all I used for the job, and I don't think I could have done it without.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: