rotten floors (In A Mobile Home)

Old 07-08-05, 05:27 AM
rotten floors

Instead or ripping up old floors is it possible to just lay 3/4 plywood over top ? or am i just looking for trouble ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Possible but not advisable. I have often laid 1/4" or 3/8" ply wood over trailer floors but only after replacing all the rotten plywood/particle board first. If the floor doesn't have something solid to rest on it will have a spongy feel to it.

Old 07-08-05, 06:48 AM
What was the cause of the floor rotting in this situation?

We have a modular building at our church, 5 years old. I have noticed rotten and spongy base plates in the walls where water got behind the siding.

Therefore, before you fix the floor, I recommend that you have an assessment of the roof and exterior conditions. Treat it as though you want to sell it or trade it on a new structure. Before more funds and labor is invested in what you have, it's good to know the true conditions, even if you proceed with what you already intend to do.
Someone who looks at these units every day may find some issues that are hidden.

Old 07-08-05, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since most trrailers have particle board floors it doesn't take a lot of water to ruin them. Along the outside edges of the MH look for failed caulking at windows and doors, siding that is bent or has gaps at the seams. Since most MH don't have an overhang a lot of water runs down the exterior walls. If the damaged areas don't extend to the outside wall look for plumbing leaks. Water leaks can be anywhere the pipes run. Leaky drains are generally in bath,kitchen or near washer.

Old 07-09-05, 05:25 AM
rottenfloors

thanks for the advice ! I have all leaks under control.

Old 07-09-05, 09:00 AM
ron4773
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by seizure32
Instead or ripping up old floors is it possible to just lay 3/4 plywood over top ? or am i just looking for trouble ?
depending on where the floor is damaged, i would recommend replacing the entire floor with new. i live in a trailer and i can tell you first hand that ANY damaged floor system requires new and even modified material. i also have built MH and i can tell you that they are very drafty so having a damaged floor means you basically have a " open window' which cold air gets in and warm air gets out( not to mention the insects).
in short, it may be costly but id replace the floor. oh , and while your at it , you might consider adding to or replacing the insulation and adding silkaflex (sic} to the bottom of your outside wall if that is damaged . in a nutshell, you need an experienced carpenter. good luck

Old 08-02-05, 04:26 AM
Exclamation See post "Speed bumps on floor"

The following is a cut and paste..
"speed bumps"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you floors have suffered moisture infiltration and are decomposing.
This could be caused by leakage and / or lack of ventilation in the under skirt.
The "speed bumps" are where the floor joist are. The rest of the non supported areas are dipping.
Replacing the floor deck in not fun but can be done.
The problem is the integrity of the support where the walls meet the floor deck.
This can be inspected by either removing a piece of siding at the bottom plate or cutting an inspection hole in the floor along the wall and see how soft the decking is under the plate.
Good Luck!!