Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Foundation Question - AC drain creating mud bog on side of house

Foundation Question - AC drain creating mud bog on side of house

Old 08-03-05, 09:08 AM
reydelsol
Visiting Guest
Question Foundation Question - AC drain creating mud bog on side of house

I live in South Texas, so this time of year our a/c runs quite a bit. I live in a 40 year old house and the A/C drains on the side of the house. With the constant use, there is a 3' x 3' mud bog where the a/c drains.

My primary concern is the foundation. Is this a cause for concern? Will this have a bad effect on my foundation? Secondarily, is there a good way to redirct the water?

Thanks for any tips.

-RDS

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-05, 05:12 PM
Is this an area you can dig up a bit? If so, you could dig a trench and lay a pipe to a location that slopes away from the house or waters a tree. I have mine empty into a bird bath to keep constant fresh water. You cant do this if you dump bleach or have a treatment tablet in your system.

Old 08-03-05, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
Newer houses usually have a units with a clear plastic hose, and it either drains to a floor drain, or a sump pump, or some even drain into the same drain as the washing machine. You can get clear plastic hose at practically any hardware store, and run that pipe wherever you want to. I've seen some A/C's drain into the gutter and down the downspouts, if they are located on the 2nd story.

Old 08-04-05, 10:20 PM
PhilC
Visiting Guest
The term "MUDBOG" is what concerns me. While condensation is a normal fact of AC life, I would question why so much runoff. A Properly insulated air handler room-especially if it is on an exterior wall can aid in reducing the amount of water runoff.

If you provide some more details, I might have some better solutions.

As in any case in warm wheather climates proper house insulation and attic ventalation can help reduce AC running time and energy costs.

Regarding the mudbog, your options for directing the flow are almost limitless depending on the layout of your home. You surely do not want this water flowing back into your foundation walls. Remember just because the surface appears dry, whats important is where the water flows below grade.

Curious for more details.

Old 08-05-05, 06:16 PM
My system is setup fine and i get a "mud hole" if i had it discharge onto flat ground. Granted, the area is only about a foot around.