Pier Footing Required?

Old 08-05-05, 06:46 AM
Toby_Cobalt
Visiting Guest
Pier Footing Required?

Since I have excess space in my garage and my wife is tired of going to the basement to do laundry, I am planning on converting a small space in my garage to a laundry room. Directly off the kitchen, a raised solid concrete ledge approximately 4.5 feet wide and 7.5 inches higher than the garage floor runs the entire 24 feet width of the garage. The kitchen floor level is an additional 11 inches above the ledge.

I plan on enclosing ten feet from one corner of the ledge for the laundry room. I plan on raising the floor level of the laundry room to the height of the kitchen floor by installing 2x10's "joists" between the rim joist of the kitchen wall and a new parallel rim joist which will attach on one end to the adjacent wall's rim joist (both existing sides wall of this corner of the garage sit on a full height basement wall).

My question is can I rest the other end of the new rim joist directly onto a treated sill plate/block placed directly on concrete ledge? Or do I need to break through the ledge and install a concrete pier footing to support the front corner. Since the new laundry room walls will not carry any building load other than what items put in the laundry room, I think I am fine foregoing the pier? Am I missing anything by concluding this?

Other than this perplexing issue everything else (electrical, plumbing, venting, etc) is pretty straight forward since I have immediate access to the basement/kitchen and the currently laundry room is directly under the kitchen).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 10:00 PM
You can use the ledge, since it is fairly thick. If two sides are connected to existing wall structures, then I doubt you will have to worry about movement or instability. If you want, you can use a flush mount post bracket to attach your supporting posts to the concrete.

best wishes.

Search this Thread