Build stairway Landing

Old 08-09-05, 11:45 AM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
Build stairway Landing

I've taken out an old set of very steep stairs (from second to first floor).

I'm replacing them with a set of stairs in the same area, but due to the run (is that hte length, I think so) I need to make an L stair. So the landing at the bottom needs to be 41"x41" and 15 3/8" high.

How do I go about building a landing? I can think of many different ways, but I was wondering what is considered correct?

I was thinking of perhaps using 2 2x6s so the top edge is equal to 15 3/8" high, drilling those into the walls studs. Then simply framing from those 2x6s as if it were just a like a mini deck. Does this sound correct?

I've searched the net and at the library, but all I find are tips on how to build winders.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-05, 10:17 PM
I recommend you visit Lowes or Home Depot. Both have several excellent books on stair construction which includes many different types. This is an important enough project that having a well written and illustrated book is definitely worth it.

The idea you suggested of connecting 2x6 joices may or may not be OK, but I think you will still need post support for added load bearing capability and stability.

Hope this helps.