Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

framing half wall

Visiting Guest

08-14-05, 02:55 PM   #1  
jtittlebaum
framing half wall

i am remodeling a bathroom and I built a 5 ft tall x 4 ft long half wall to separate the toilet from the bathroom. How can I frame it/support it so it does not wobble? It is secure except if you grab it at the end, you can shake it side to side.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

08-14-05, 04:04 PM   #2  
The best way is to let some of the framing run long (through the floor and along side the floor joists). When you nail or screw through the joist and to the vertical framing it will secure the wall and keep it from wobbling. Do this as often as is practical to give your wall lateral strength.

Visiting Guest

08-14-05, 05:36 PM   #3  
jtittlebaum
any other suggestions if that is not an option?

Group Moderator

NE

08-14-05, 06:10 PM   #4  
no, not really. You could glue the entire bottom plate down to the floor, and glue your drywall so that the wall would have to move as a unit. But none of those things would provide as much rigidity.

WA

08-14-05, 09:27 PM   #5  
There is one other option.

You can run studs on both ends of the wall and anchor it to a ceiling joist. You can then surround the studs with the hardwood of your choice, with moldings, and make attractive support posts. I've seen this technique used several times with great results.

Best wishes.

Search this Thread