Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cheap Alternatives to Self Leveling Compound?

CAL

08-23-05, 11:07 AM   #1  
Cheap Alternatives to Self Leveling Compound?

I just bought a house that has a concrete slab foundation, and it has some pretty severe floor sloping "issues"; especially in the master bathroom. I don't think it was caused by settling, as the walls and ceiling seem to be relatively crack free and stable, given the amount of floor slope. I think it was just poor workmanship during the time of construction. Given the extent of the slab area and depth requiring leveling, I think it could be pretty expensive to level everything using the pricey self-leveling compound. Is it possible to use other, cheaper cement-based products to level the slab? One thought I had was to nail a "lip" (made from moulding?) around the wall at the "point of level" and use something like thin-set mortar (with a latex admix for extra strength) to fill in the low area. Then you would use a straight board (say a 1x4 on edge) to spread out the thinset evenly and flatly, much like if you were making a concrete patio or driveway using form boards. Am I making sense, or is this a crazy thought? I plan to install either ceramic tile (bathroom) or carpet (bedrooms) as the final finish floor. Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-23-05, 05:04 PM   #2  
How much difference are we talking? Self-Leveling concrete is VERY dense, you can't go with thinset if it's gonna be very thick. Are we talking 1/2"?

CAL

08-23-05, 07:46 PM   #3  
Posted By: KenTheHandyMan How much difference are we talking? Self-Leveling concrete is VERY dense, you can't go with thinset if it's gonna be very thick. Are we talking 1/2"?
It's fairly sizable. I just checked the slope using my 4' level (longest I own) on the master bath floor. When the level is "level", one end is hanging about 1" in the air! If I had a longer level, it would probably be even more. That bathroom is by far the worst case. The other areas are more gently sloped.

Search this Thread