Need some GUIDANCE HERE...

Old 08-27-05, 08:48 AM
Kittyhawk777
Visiting Guest
Wink Need some GUIDANCE HERE...

undefinedundefined I'm looking at an old 2 story cypress home that had a chimney fire in Dec 2004. The house sustained damage through the ceiling mainly in the room closest to the chimney, which is the dinning room and up into an upstairs bedroom. I need someone who is knowledgable about HOUSE FIRES to tell me what extra precautions are needed after a fire, when repairing the home to live in. The house is a great piece of property which includes a wood working shop. I just need to be sure I'm not getting into a great deal that may turn out to be a bottomless $$$$$$$ pit.

GUY AND GALS, PLEASE ADVISE... I really need information here.
Thanks so much!!! *S*

Old 08-27-05, 07:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Guidance

It would be almost impossible for us to advise you on this matter. Anything would be a guess. However, I would hire a home Inspector to look at it. It will not be too much, and you will get a good professional opinion. they can probably also give you a fairly rough estimate on the repair costs. Good Luck

Old 08-28-05, 06:33 AM
This is certainly not a remote-inspection kind of thing. Since the structure is BOTH old and fire-damaged, it needs to be examined for structural problems as well as any consequences of the fire. How right is the price that you could afford to bulldoze what's there and build from the ground up?

If the damage is as extensive as it may be, how would you get anyone to loan you a dime against it? I would talk to a real estate agent as well regarding value. Taking a look at the appraisal district valuation would be advisable too.

So far, the only certainty is the land value and a nice shop. It COULD be a great bargain if you have enough time and your own money to do the right thing.

Old 08-28-05, 04:04 PM
Guidence Here

A professional home inspection is not a remote inspection of any kind. Many are civil engineers who have retired. All are tested regularly regarding home structures. They will tell you how it is.

Old 08-28-05, 07:47 PM
By remote inspection, I meant that the members of this forum should not be expected to perform such a task. The original poster pleaded for "guys and gals to advise". Jack is completely correct that a professional on-site home inspection is necessary. I concur with the recommendation.

Old 08-29-05, 07:39 PM
Kittyhawk777
Visiting Guest
Please see the RE: Need some Guidance here...Thanks

Please see the RE: Need some guidance here, for clairfication. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: