Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Re: Needs some guidance here...

Visiting Guest

08-28-05, 09:23 AM   #1  
Kittyhawk777
Re: Needs some guidance here...

Posting here, because I thought you would know.....so..OK Fellows...points taken. Let me clarify a bit. I took a home inspector with me the first time I looked at the interior... and was advised it was a steal. The structural damage is minimal. What I'm somewhat concerned about is this...Are there any recommended precautions or steps that I should explore taking because the entire interior, attic, etc has been exposed to smoke, soot, etc.??There is very little water damage (mold) and I'm already planning to update or replace the electrical since some was still knob and tube. What I'm wondering about is not what boards, etc need replacing, or washing walls, but what about the need to seal the scorched wood since the fire...?breathing problems that might develop commonly in previously burned homes??, etc. Does that make my quandary any more clear ? Thanks for your time...I'm new at this...so please bare with me as I attempt to convey my questions in your vernacular....Miss Kittyhawk

Last edited by Kittyhawk777; 08-29-05 at 07:43 PM.

Sponsored Links

TX

08-30-05, 05:16 AM   #2  
I can just barely understand what the issues are.

Are there any recommended precautions or steps that I should explore taking because the entire interior, attic, etc has been exposed to smoke, soot, etc.??
what about the need to seal the scorched wood since the fire...?breathing problems that might develop commonly in previously burned homes??, etc. Does that make my quandary any more clear ?

Since this is an older home, it is probably not as airtight as a recently built structure. Therefore; air infiltration, carrying with it a smoky odor, might be an issue. If you have knob-and-tube wiring, then wall insulation may be minimal to non-existent; allowing an even greater opportunity for airflow through the walls.

Is this a house you intend to occupy or resell? After the rewiring is accomplished, you should consider adding the thinnest layer of sheetrock to the inside walls to minimize air infiltration.

Visiting Guest

09-05-05, 05:53 AM   #3  
Kittyhawk777
Thanks for the reply

This is a house I will live in. There is very little insulation and that is 2nd on the list of things to do to the house. Thanks for pointing out that the house is likely loosing much air through the walls themselves. I'll certainly follow up on that.

Search this Thread