Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Waterbed on wood floor

Visiting Guest

08-28-05, 08:09 PM   #1  
RonJ
Waterbed on wood floor

We just purchased a home that was built in 1970 and since our present home is on a slab it has never been an issue but I got to wondering if there would be any problems involved with the weight of a CalKing waterbed. I figured I have 2 choices, get a regular bed, or maybe add some extra pier blocks and posts between the exsisting ones. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for us? Thanks. RonJ

Sponsored Links

TX

08-29-05, 04:21 AM   #2  
It depends

Here's one FAQ answer:

How much does a waterbed weigh?

A waterbed can weigh up to 1500lbs, but because the weight is distributed over a large area, weight is not a concern. A waterbed weighs less per square foot than a refrigerator. Any house built to modern building codes can handle the weight of a waterbed without a problem.

So, your questions are:
- Is the home constructed to modern building codes?
- Where are the support posts under the proposed location?
- Is the location part of the original structure, designed as a bedroom or was it converted from some other use or added on?
- What load factor (pounds per square foot) was part of the original design?
- What other loads will rest on the same structure, whether in the same room or an adjacent one?
- Have any modifications been made to the wood structure that might potentially weaken it?
- For a 35-year-old house, what deterioration has occurred?

08-29-05, 09:34 AM   #3  
He's right... but simply put - shouldn't be an issue! Would you put a refrigerator on that floor? Probably!

Lay that puppy down - and enjoy it! I've had two waterbeds in 6 homes over the last 5 years (yeah, I move a lot) - ranging from brand new to 50 years old. Never had an issue.

Search this Thread