Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fear of the Unknown...(Sagging Floor Issue Addressed Here)

Visiting Guest

09-07-05, 09:31 AM   #1  
teacup25
Fear of the Unknown...(Sagging Floor Issue Addressed Here)

Wow...where do I start...I'm not even sure if I'm in the right forum, so I may post it in flooring and cleaning if thats ok with the mods.

Buyer beware....I'm a single mom who got a great deal on a 65 yr old house last year. I had been renting the house prior to that and stupidly trusted my landlord and didn't get an inspection before I bought it.

Starters, I knew the floor joist in the living room was shot. The sag is about a foot from the entry door and goes pretty much the length of the room. I'm fairly sure there is little to no crawl space under this section of the house. It sits just about flush with the ground.

After I bought the house, I decided to remove the wallpaper in the same room. The vinyl pulled down almost too easily and I was shocked to find the wall behind it was moist. You could actually take a pencil and dig into the mush. There was a fair amount of mildew which I treated with clorox and haven't had a problem with since I painted. My landlord had replaced the windows along that wall a year previously.

Onto the master bath, which was added on 15 yrs ago and has a decent crawl space....I recently decided to pull down the wallpaper in that room and found more mildew not along the tub, but around the walls surrounding it.

I guess, I'm just getting scared of "what" might be under my house. Especially in the living room. That part of the house always smells bad. Keep in mind, the entire house is carpeted, even kitchen and bathrooms.

Could there potentially be something "bad" under the living room, that could be leaking up thru the busted floor joist and thru the carpet.

I purchased this house on a 5 yr ARM and don't really have the funds to completely refurbish this thing. But I have mine and my 9 yr olds health to consider, plus I know it won't sell in a few years with these problems.

So I guess my questions are....

1) Is mildew, when treated, with clorox spray something I should be concerned about?

2) How do I go about hiring someone to inspect under the house for mold, especially in that section that doesn't have a crawl space? What kind of money should I expect this inspection to cost?

3) Could water have been trapped behind the wallpaper for several months? I would like to think the replacement windows fixed any leakage and the mush damage was old.

I can send pictures upon requests. At this point, I'm just clueless and really need some advice.

Thanks for bearing with such a long post.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-07-05, 09:47 AM   #2  
teacup25
repair

Oh yea.....

I was quoted $500 to replace the 16 ft section of floor joist. Reasonable?

09-07-05, 09:48 AM   #3  
"1) Is mildew, when treated, with clorox spray something I should be concerned about?"

I've done this many times in bathrooms and it works great. I thin it down heavily with water. I'm no expert but I'd say I use a 1/10th bleach in water and spray the mildew. As a real example. My brother was renting a condo and he got huge allergy symptoms whenever he took a shower. This lasted for months before he ever mentioned it to me. I gave him a sprayer of bleach/water mix that I've used for other similar purposes and told him to spray down the entire shower ceiling and walls. Within two days of the spray down he never had a problem since and that was a year ago. Just be careful with the bleach since it is very corrosive to metals and wear something to protect your eyes and a breathing aparatus of some sort. I wouldn't want to inhale the mist.

"2) How do I go about hiring someone to inspect under the house for mold, especially in that section that doesn't have a crawl space? What kind of money should I expect this inspection to cost?"

Again, I'm NO expert but I'd suggest a general contractor. Check your local BBB website, search the Member Directory for a general contractor. I would fully expect any "inspection" to be completely free unless they say it requires work to fully assess to damage. I think what you want to do is get a quote from them. Usually quotes are free with most forms of contract labor for residential work.

"3) Could water have been trapped behind the wallpaper for several months? I would like to think the replacement windows fixed any leakage and the mush damage was old."

Caveat once more.. I'm no expert. Without seeing it myself it's hard to tell the source of the water. I recently had to deal with a huge plumbing issue myself (polybutylene) and had to open up, dry out, and repair a large portion of a wall. In that situation it was easy for me to identify the source of the water... the ruptured pipe. You'll need to be smart about it. For now, I would open things up, get a fan on it, and see if it dries up. If it does and stays dry I would assume the leak is gone. You might want to post a picture of this one so we can assess if there are spots for hidden spots for water to pool. That could lead to rot and mold issues.

Good luck!

Scott

Admin Emeritus

CAL

09-07-05, 02:48 PM   #4  
Cleaning & Mildew Issues

Cleaning & Mildew issues addressed here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...569#post841569

Web Site Host & All Forums Monitor.
Sharp Advice. Web Site Host & All Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

09-08-05, 04:04 AM   #5  
2. Call a home inspector. He will find the areas of concern and give you solutions to remedy the problem. He is not there to sell you anything...his job is to inspect. An inspector will cost $200 - $300.

Search this Thread