DRIcore Opinions

Old 09-17-05, 02:28 PM
rjohnson
Visiting Guest
DRIcore Opinions

I'm looking at finishing my basement and looking for sub-floor options.

I can see 3 options:
1) Carpet over concrete (although I would like to "warm up" the concrete)
2) Traditional subfloor although I think I have 86" from the concrete to the bottom of my floor joists so the height is costly.
3) DRIcore. I'd like opinions though. I can't find any comparable products in stores or on the internet. Close to C$2 per square foot for DRIcore seems high.

If I do go with DRIcore can I take it up to walls that are already framed there?

Old 09-18-05, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dricore Options

Dricore may be a little expensive on the surface, but it will save you alot of money in the overall picture, and also add warmth to your floor and keep it aired out. Yes, you can go right up to the walls. You can cut and fit it for any jogs or pipes. I offset it when installing it so I never have and railraod crossings when done. It works great. Good Luck Menards sell it for $1.50 a sq. ft.

Old 09-18-05, 06:41 PM
E
With a properly functioning cold air return (installed a floor level) and properly insulated walls, your floor should not be cold.

Prior to finishing my basement, I considered Dri-core as well, but realized it was not necessary after seeing how warm the basement was last winter.

It may be money wasted.

Old 09-18-05, 07:06 PM
Dricore Options

em69:

Thank you for you input. However, the cold air return and other options are not available in this case. A subfloor is going to be installed, as well it should be. The question was about the quality of Dricore. Thank you for your response.

Old 09-19-05, 12:08 AM
S
Jack the Contractor

“Dricore Options”

“However, the cold air return and other options are not available in this case.”

Interesting. I read and reread the original post and was unable to find such an exclusion.

“A subfloor is going to be installed,”

And again I was unable to determine from the language of the original post, “listing 3 options”, that that was a forgone conclusion.

“as well it should be.”

Which is your opinion voiced in a public forum.

“The question was about the quality of Dricore.”

Actually, the title of the original post is, “DRIcore Opinions”, of which “quality” is a value.

The first statement of the original post indicated an interest in “options”.

“I'm looking at finishing my basement and looking for sub-floor options.”

In the 1st “option” in the original post was expressed an interest to “warm up” the concrete.

Although the solution offered by em69 does not specifically address the warming up of the concrete, it worked satisfactorily for him.

It was an option offered in a public forum.

It has always been my understanding that the essence of a public forum was that all responses are freely given, equally weighted, without bias and it is only the OP who determines which of the responses will provide the best workable solution.

Old 09-19-05, 04:50 AM
E
Well excuse me there JACK for interrupting the flow of the "your" forum. That has got to be rudest comment I've seen on this forum and in my eyes, you have lost credibility.

I completely understood the original posters question...thanks for trying to enlighten me!

He wants to warm up his concrete floor. My suggestion is to ensure he has a properly functioning cold air retrun. A sub-floor is not always the best solution...even though you seem to think it is the only solution.

This isn't a mulitple choice game show JACK. He was seeking opinions and I provided him mine. The OP will make the decision on a solution...not you.

Old 09-19-05, 05:03 AM
Dricore Options

em69:

My apologies to you. My comments were not to be rude. I was trying to keep on the track, that rjohnson wants some sort of subfloor. There are many different types. He specifically asked about Dricore. I in no way meant to be rude to you. Again my apologizes.

Old 09-19-05, 08:22 AM
E
JACK,

READ HIS POST. His #1 option is to go carpet directly on the concrete, but his concern is warmth.

I always try to stay on track with a thread. My apologies to rjohnson and the others, but JACK THE CONTRACTOR got me a little upset and so I had to add this last comment.

Old 09-19-05, 05:08 PM
em69

Not a problem. Have a good day.

Old 09-19-05, 05:15 PM
em69..calm down, drop it, there are better things to do then argue over some forum post you didn't like. Everyone on earth can read something and get atleast a slightly different picture compared to the next person.

---------------------

Carpet over concrete is not nice at all IMO. You still have a very hard floor even with the thickest pad available. I would look into #2 or #3. But it all comes down to the price you are willing to pay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: