Workshop w/ rotten main supports... Need help???

Old 09-22-05, 07:47 AM
Workshop w/ rotten main supports... Need help???

During a home inspection of a house I'm in contract to buy, we found the 30' X 40' workshop (concert slab, wood frame, metal roof and siding) has rotten supports. There are fourteen 4X6X14 posts around the parameter that hold up the structure. Unfortunately, the posts are 15 – 20 years old and were untreated. There are no footers, just 4”X6” holes in the slab and the posts were placed 12” – 18” down into the ground on gravel. The base of each support is rotten and in 3 or 4 cases bearing NO weight. Any suggestions with repair?

I’ve got a few ideas, but I need to come up with a number (a repair cost) to use for negotiation. I haven’t decided if I’ll want to under take the job, or hire a contractor. Either way, I’m trying to come up with an estimate to take to the seller. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-05, 02:52 PM
How thick is the concrete slab?

Old 09-22-05, 03:20 PM
For your purposes - find a good contractor and get the free estimate... Right now you want to find out how much to negotiate.... rather than how much to spend to repair it... so to speak. If you and your realtor have a written estimate in hand to present.. it goes a long ways towards getting that concession that you want.

Once you've bought it.... you can correct the problem with some hard work... replacing the timbers one at a time - using a number of different methods ranging from simply sticking new ones in the holes to enlarging the holes and concreting new ones in to concreting over the holes and using plates to support the new ones (my favorite - hate buried wood).

Old 09-26-05, 07:53 AM
Old Pole Barn

After further inspection, my ‘Workshop’ turns out to be a pole barn with a concrete floor added after the fact. The slab is only 4” thick. It was poured 10 years after the barn was built.

For the most part, the concrete was poured around each main support post. Could I place a new post against the rotten post, lag bolt them together, then cut the bottom of the damaged post? Only the bottom 6 to 10 inches is water damaged?

This sounds like the quickest and cheapest solution, however I’ll need to make sure there are no structural issues with all main supports on top of the 4” slab. If this is a suitable fix, I could go back after the damaged wood is removed and fill the 4X6 holes with concrete to add some extra support around the new support posts.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-05, 09:16 AM
That's the line of thought I was going with... You can get metal brackets that will bolt to the concrete - keeping your new wood supports off the concrete enough to prevent future rotting. Use through bolts rather than lag screws.......... Your finished product will obviously look "patched"... but if you can live with it.... go for it...

Free advice... and worth every penny.........