adding 3rd floor

Old 09-23-05, 06:03 AM
jaseweil
Visiting Guest
adding 3rd floor

I am under contract to purchase a house. One wing which is approx. 250 s.f. is 2 stories high, a bedroom and bathroom on the main floor over a bedroom and bathroom on the basement level. We would like to add another floor with another bedroom and bathroom and wonder what this would entail and how best to determine if the foundation and lower walls are sufficient to support another floor. I am assuming that we could remove the existing roof, frame up the floors and walls and then put a new roof on it. One more question regarding the roof is: the house has 67 year old red slate roofing, how efficient is it to reuse this roofing material. I know that slate is expensive, and it probably is dificult to find this color match.
Thanks.

Old 09-23-05, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
adding 3rd floor

I would hire an engineer, a home designer or a contractor to look at the structure to determine the feasibility. If the addition is critical, I would do this before closing. This addition would involve the structure, plumbing, heating and electrical plus the assiciated code requirements, so professional advice is money well spent.

If you do take of the roof, have a roofer lok at the materials removed to see if the could be re-installed on the new roof. If not, save as many old pieces as possibile for future patching, etc.

Dick

Old 09-23-05, 01:20 PM
jaseweil
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will consult an engineer. Any idea how much the average per/sq.ft. cost for a project of this would be? This would be built in North Carolina.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: