Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Load bearing door frame?

NC

09-28-05, 10:36 AM   #1  
Load bearing door frame?

I have a house built in 1975, it is a Bi-Level house.
The house is Around 27 feet by 58 feet.
In the basement down the center I have a triple 2X10 beam running the full 58 foot length. This beam is supported every 7-8 feet by a pressure treated 4X4 set in concrete floor on end of the house, and in the garage area there are steel lolly columns set in the concrete floor at about the same spacing.
Being Bi-Level, you enter the house in the middle and you can look either up or down stairs. I have almost finished my basement and I am considering removing this door. The door frame itself rests directly under the main beam of the house, and has a pressure treated 4X4 about 2-1/2’ to the right of it and another 4X4 about 3’ to the left of it.

Would this door frame and attached framing be bearing any load?
All through this remodel I have considered the 4X4’s and lolly Columns to be the load bearing structure of the house, and I never thought twice about removing the door, until now…when I am about to do it.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

09-28-05, 04:36 PM   #2  
The "pressure treated 4X4 about 2-1/2’ to the right of it and another 4X4 about 3’ to the left of it" are likely load bearing, but the actual frame of the door and any other framing around it is probably not load bearing.

Door frames are never load bearing.

SD

09-29-05, 02:17 AM   #3  
Load bearing Door

You can remove the door with no problem. But do not remove any of the support posts. For your information, the correct name for your house is called a Side Split. These are different from a Split Level house. They are a very strong house. Enjoy your new downstairs. Also it is called the lower split, not a basement. Good Luck

NC

09-29-05, 04:22 AM   #4  
Thanks for the info
I always wanted to know the correct name for my house type, thanks for filling me in.

Search this Thread