Replacing about 8 foot of a load bearing wall

Old 10-22-05, 03:57 PM
tiler
Visiting Guest

I am planning on taking out about 8 feet of a load bearing wall in my basement in order to open up more floor space in the basement. I have a ranch style home with a full basement and the middle support is running at 12 feet down the middle of the basement the entire length. I am not sure what width of header I would need to replace the load bearing wall. I am planning on supporting the ends of the header with a decorative load bearing post on both ends. Due to the heighth of the ceiling (7ft) I was hoping to get by with something like two 2X6's with a piece of 1/2 in plywood in between, but don't know if that would be enough support?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-05, 06:16 PM
Spartan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by tiler
I am planning on taking out about 8 feet of a load bearing wall in my basement in order to open up more floor space in the basement. I have a ranch style home with a full basement and the middle support is running at 12 feet down the middle of the basement the entire length. I am not sure what width of header I would need to replace the load bearing wall. I am planning on supporting the ends of the header with a decorative load bearing post on both ends. Due to the heighth of the ceiling (7ft) I was hoping to get by with something like two 2X6's with a piece of 1/2 in plywood in between, but don't know if that would be enough support?
We are in a very similar situation here. A load bearing wall running down the center of the house (1965 Ranch). One side is finished, and the other side is workshop / basement entry. We would like to open up the finished area into the entry off of the stairs. Currently there is only a 30" doorway there.

Old 12-30-05, 07:18 PM

You will need an engineer to design the beams, columns and the footing to place the columns on.

Also, a permit.

Dick