Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wood Floor Removal. Oh Boy, More Than I Bargained For?!?

Visiting Guest

10-23-05, 12:24 PM   #1  
trinity082482
Wood Floor Removal. Oh Boy, More Than I Bargained For?!?

My home is 120 years old. The floors are pretty old too because the are laid down on Mahogany slats and nailed in with square head nails. There is NO sub flooring. As I filled my home with furniture.. I noticed all the furniture slanting this way and that way!
I was told to rip it all out and start fresh. What would be the best way to do this? I do not want those newer wood floors where they connect like a puzzle piece.. I need something I could mop 2 times a day without warping

Sponsored Links

WA

10-23-05, 08:39 PM   #2  
what you do depends on whether you like the mahogany surface as it is, or if you are OK with replacing it with something else. Here are two ideas to consider:

1) leave the existing floor and install plywood subflooring over the top. You can then prep the subfloor for whatever surface you want to install - including new wood flooring. There are different types of wood floor systems, so you don't have to use the "puzzle" type. check out www.lumberliquidators.com

2) pull up the existing floor. Install plywood subflooring, and re-lay the mahogany. You can even use square nails if you want to maintain the period look.

Search this Thread