Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

steel stud help

11-08-05, 06:04 PM   #1  
steel stud help

I am getting ready to build a soffit around some duct work that I put in. I want to use steel studs and am curious if anyone can give me some pointers.
I am not real sure on the process of even putting it up? How do corners get hadled? Do you have to cut one piece longer and bend it over to screw it into the other? Does anyone have a picture diagram of this process? Thanks for all your help in advance. Kris

Sponsored Links

11-10-05, 01:56 AM   #2  
There are basically two elements involved in "tin-can" or steel stud framing, the studs which are available in 25ga., 20, 18, 16ga. etc.,and widths of 1-5/8", 2-1/2, 3-5/8" and so on, track is used for the top and bottom. Another shape also used is framing angle, or "shinny 90".

Here are a couple of links. Most of the material displayed is available from your local material supplier, some from the big boxes.
http://www.rinker.com/steelcon/Produ...eelFraming.htm
http://www.***********html

Moderator note. I just edited out the second link that goes to an outside forum.

Last edited by mattison; 11-10-05 at 04:54 AM.

11-10-05, 06:25 AM   #3  
The second website doesn't work. I didn't see any illistrations for putting pieces together and what shapes to cut when joining pieces. Only products themselves. Thanks

11-10-05, 03:26 PM   #4  
"what shapes to cut when joining pieces".

If its a square corner, cut it square. Making special cuts and fittings is a learned skill and can take years to accumulate the talent.

Do a google search under steel stud framing or metal studs or metal framing, that way you won't have to encounter editing out of other resources.

Search this Thread