Large expansion gaps around laminate flooring

Old 11-15-05, 10:41 PM
chsu121
Visiting Guest
Large expansion gaps around laminate flooring

I just moved into my first home and had a "friend" help with the installation of DuPont Laminate Flooring. They're click-lock planks and floating installation on a concrete subfloor. When he was done laying down all the planks, I noticed some major expansion gaps he'd left along the wall and around the door casing. Yes...he cut around the door casing instead of cutting the casing down and installing the floor underneath. So, now I'm left with huge gaps, some up to as much as 1-1/4" wide! I've been able to find a chair rail that's wide enough to lay down as baseboard to cover most of the gaps (hoping the floors won't expand/contract too much beyond where they are now). And have also purchased thick plinth blocks to help cover some of the gap around the door casing. However, I'm left with 2 major problems still:

(1) How do I cover up the expansion gap that are on the inside of the door casing which won't be covered by the chair rail or plinth block

(2) Is there any kind of filler I can or should use between the wall and the laminate floor in case there is expansion/contraction? I'm afraid given the large gaps that if the floor expands too much, I'll start to see gaps joints. And, conversely, if the floor contracts too much, that the expansion gaps will start to peek out from under the chair rails I'm using as baseboards.

A picture of the problem can be found at http://www.craigslist.org/pen/wan/111586194.html

Any help is appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-05, 09:38 PM
Same advice at the craigslist fixit forum, remove and replace the affected areas. Do it right.

Old 11-18-05, 07:31 AM
I don't see the foam underlay?? If it is there, I hope you used the one with a vapour barrier since your application is on a concrete floor.

The only way to fix it is to replace those boards after cutting the door jambs.