Framing to Brick/Masonary

Old 11-19-05, 10:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Im trying to frame out my attic to put up sheetrock and was thinking of using masonary nails through the stud into the brick. Would this be the best way to secure the stud to the wall or shall I use anchors and screw through the stud into the anchor?

Thanks

Last edited by tobja; 11-19-05 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 06:26 PM
S
Where to start.
Brick is not approved for structural attachment.
Why aren't you attaching to the framed platforms at the bottom and top of this wall?
Are you proficient at reestablishing the integrity of the brick, which will most likely be compromised as a result of "hammering"?

Old 11-21-05, 08:40 PM
T
By the framed attachments I assume you mean the joists running under the floor and above the ceiling?

Rather than use masonary nails I had (after I posted to the forum) decided to attach 3x2's using anchors in the brick, then screwing through the framing into the anchor. Is this not recommended?

Old 11-22-05, 04:24 AM
You are correct. It is not recommended. It is not only not recommendede, it is a big No No. Now I have a question for you. You asked what to do or how to attach to the brick, Snoonby told you not to do it, but you did it anyway. Now why did you do this ? That was a bad move not to listen to our advice. I can guarantee you are going to have some brick problems down the road, and they will not be cheap to fix. It may be a couple of years, or a couple of weeks, but the problems are coming.

Old 11-22-05, 05:48 PM
T
As it stands I've only put up three lengths of 3x2 so I haven't really started the job. I can easily take them down.

Why is it a no no? Im from the UK where we have brick houses (virtually only brick houses) and although its not often drywall is hung in old houses (with plastering/rendering still the main thing), I cant see what the big deal is with attaching battons to the wall and hanging drywall.

Your help is much appreciated.

Old 11-22-05, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Tobja -

I believe the answers you got were from people that were assuming you were attaching to brick veneer (non-structural single leaf wall) or possibly a chimney that is thought of as a non-structural item.

You probably have a home that is many times stronger and more stable than what was assumed or what is seen in the U.S.

You obviously do not have a structural problem, but an attachment problem.

First, I would suggest looking for answers in the U.K where people are more knowledgable about that type of construction and the materials. I am sure there are some tried and true methods to handle the drywall shortcut approach. The solution would depend on whether you had clay brick, concrete brick or "breeze brick" that I believe are concrete block.

Without knowing the materials and wall construction (thickness, mumber of leafs or wythes etc.), I would shy away from hand nailing. If you have soild and not thin hollow brick, nailing would abe OK. I would attempt to nail into the mortar joints. In the colonies, we would probably try a little adhesive also.

Good luck

Dick

Old 11-22-05, 06:43 PM
T
My apologies, what I meant was Im from the UK but living in PA.

The house Im in now is a 1930's house made purely out of (red) brick - therefore as far as I can see is similar to UK houses.

Obviously if its not right to attach battons to the wall and then drywall to the battons I'd like to know as to do it right.

Thanks

Old 11-22-05, 07:09 PM
The brick you have is solid red brick. Very brittle. Cracks easily. Very difficult to replace when shattered. You cannot replace just one brick, you have to replace an area of brick. concrete man was wrong. We know that this is not brick veneer. We know exactly what we are talking about. Your brick has no structural integrity. It only has looks. That is why we are telling you not to pound nails and such into the brick. But it is your house, so you can do as you like. Soonby told you the correct way to handle the problem. You build a false wall or framework (not attached to the brick) but attached to the wood and the floor and the wood above. You attach the sheetrock to the framework. Yes, it is harder then attaching to the brick, but alot safer. I know of no building code that allows you to nail to brick. You could however glue the wood onto the brick. Use the correct PL.
Good Luck

Old 11-22-05, 07:19 PM
T
As said, thanks for all your help (didn't mean to offend anyone - I posted here for some advice to do it right). Its a project I really need to get started on properly soon, maybe the weekend.

Building the frame and fixing it to the joists in the floor is easy enough, but as its the attic and the ceiling/roof joists are at an angle it makes things more difficult.

Just a couple of q's:
- how far does it need to be away from the wall, bearing in mind I have two windows on the exterior wall
- if I use adhesive what type/make do you recommend?

Thanks again.

Old 11-22-05, 07:24 PM
You can build right up to the wall if you like. If you want to gule, the go to your lumber yard or home improvement center. Most carry PL and there is a number after it for each particular use. Like PL200 etc. Good Luck. No harm done here. We are all big boys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: