Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

framing on concrete

Visiting Guest

11-21-05, 06:52 PM   #1  
sidwal
framing on concrete

I have to frame a gym built below a garage, it has 20' high ceilings and some of the concrete walls are outside walls. Can I use regular 2x4 or do I have to use pressure treated wood because it concrete?
Thank you for your help
sidwal

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-21-05, 08:10 PM   #2  
Most codes require PT wood anywhere that framing contacts cement. Some areas even specify that the type of fastener used in PT wood be compatable with the chemicals in the PT wood.

11-22-05, 04:40 AM   #3  
If you are in Canada, then most Codes require that you lay your bottom plate on top of 6mil poly to avoid any wood/concrete contact.

If you are going to use PT, then as XS says, check your fastner (screws, nails etc.) and make sure they are compatible with PT. Or else they will corrode from the chemicals in the PT.

Visiting Guest

11-23-05, 06:55 PM   #4  
tafallon
Framing on concrete

If you're building on any type of concrete foundation, pad, etc, it's a good idea to use Pressure Treated wood for the bottom sill plate. It certainly can't hurt the project. PT wood holds up longer with wet weather, dampness, and other types of moisture. Just my thoughts though, coming from an engineer point of view and experience. Good luck!

Search this Thread