termite damaged roof framing, how to repair?

Old 09-07-05, 09:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
termite damaged roof framing, how to repair?

I have some termite damage that I'd like to repair myself. If possible of course. I don't believe it requires any repairs because I had two termite inspections over the past two years. Yeah.. I'm paranoid and for a reason. I had them again and got the house tented because local treatment wasn't getting them all. So now I see about five trusses that have damage but the termite guys said no repair work was required in the house. I'm not trusting these guys entirely to be as complete and careful as I am so I want to do the repair even if it isn't *required*. I'm hoping there's a practical and approved way to do the work from inside the attic. Like maybe by nailing, or adhering, 2x4s to the sides of the damaged trusses. I'm looking for the method that is considered to be approved since I will eventually sell this house. I've been trying to find books and resources online but the best I can find using Google is companies that will do it for me.

Any pointers would be awesome. If there's a book that you know of I would be more than happy buying a book and reading the entire thing. In fact, I'd probably prefer that so I can get some context of different approaches and considerations when doing structural repair to a home.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 09-09-05, 06:26 AM
A
there are really a lot of factors to consider.

The method for repairing trusses depends greatly on many factors. The span of the truss, what it is holding, the stress in the damaged members and most importantly how it is damaged. I doubt you'll find any answers in a book. If you don't have the orignal truss drawings then I suggest you start measuring and documenting what you have. The information you will need will be the span, configuration of the truss, lumber sizes used and plates sizes and manufacturer. Once you find out who made the plates you can locate a local truss company that may be able to get you a valid repair from the plate manufacturer. One scenario your likely to run into is that the plate manufacturer is no longer in business. Don't worry though most have been consolidated under a few name brands nad they still have info on the old compaines they've taken over.

Good luck

Old 09-09-05, 08:00 AM
S
The trusses are not damaged that much. I can measure it all out myself. It is for the roof. It's in a really hard to get at position so I've only observed it from a distance. From a distance, things look fine but the termite guy (a complete flake) said the most activity was in that section. We had at least four different colonies in the house. To think we've been here only a year when we found that out. Makes me wonder what the termite inspector did when we bought the house since the inspector we just had said two of the colonies were full grown and had been there about 4-5 years by their size. But I digress with my frustration of how we got to where we are.

I'll fit my way back there and measure it all up and see what I can tell regarding the damage and take good pictures. I don't even know that it needs any repair at all. I'm a proactive person that likes to take care of things instead of wait until something goes wrong. I have today off and plan to spend some time checking things out up there. Hopefully I feel comfortable that nothing is bad enough to require a fix.

Oh, that reminds me. The inspector we just had come out said that state law (California) recommends that wood be replaced when it is compromised over 30%. Obviously a subjective measure. But at least I know what this state uses as a guideline.

Thanks for the post. I'll post back my findings when I get up there today.

Scott

Old 11-22-05, 05:41 PM
Fix'n_It
Visiting Guest
Status

Hi, was wondering what the status of your project was.

Old 01-04-06, 06:00 PM
S
Originally Posted by Fix'n_It
Hi, was wondering what the status of your project was.
I haven't touched it. The attic is a royal pain to get into so I never checked it that well. I finally wiggled my way in there to get a better look at what the termite guy said was heavy infestation. I don't believe it's a problem. He certainly didn't feel like it needed any repairs. I'm going to watch it like a hawk though. First sign of things shifting or cracking and the roof is getting done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: