Where do we start??

Old 12-05-05, 12:32 PM
patchen777
Visiting Guest
Question Where do we start??

Hi, we are getting ready to rehab a 1950 rancher that is in great disrepair with 2 additions through the years. The question is this... We do know that several floor joist will have to be replaced (probably about 60%), that the framing for the walls has about the equivalent of replacement on the studs and that the roof will be replaced also.... the main damage is water (leaking from the roof and moisture underneath for the floor joists) we are hiring several contractors to do the work but not sure which direction to start on.... The roof down? or from the floor up? Esentially, it is like rebuilding it which makes me think to go from floor up. Also, my husband wants me to hire an engineer prior to anything for him to compile the steps but budget is tight so does anyone think this investment will be worthwhile? We know that the brick foundation is good and that we are probably catching the rotting at just the right time as it is still in tact just very soft. So, any opinions will be greatly appreciated... Thanks, janice

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 01:32 PM
janice,

You should hire a general contractor to oversee all of the work. He or she will know what to do. Also the first thing is to get the structure weather tight. So it sounds like you will need to roof it first. There is no sense in fixing the floor if it will become soaked the next time it rains.