Linoleum -> Tile Floor transition to Bedroom

Old 12-06-05, 12:23 PM
drowell
Visiting Guest
Linoleum -> Tile Floor transition to Bedroom

My wife had the great idea of doing a bathroom remodel, and after several $35k bids, I decided maybe my free time isn't worth so much afterall. Not completely new to construction as I just finished building a 20'x20' woodshop.

Currently we have Linoleum over 3/4" Ply on 2x10 Joists. She wants to put in Floor tile with a floor heating device and a no-berm shower.

If I put pull the linoleum add the backerboard, heating elements, thinset, and tile, my new floor height will be approximately 1" higher than before, which will be a major transition from the carpeted bedroom.

I have 2 thoughts on how to accomplish a smoother transition.

#1 Add a floor leveling compound to the bedroom area that will slope it up atleast 3/4" to the bathroom.

#2 Replace the original joists with smaller engineered joists.

Can you give me some additional thoughts on what to do? I have read the other threads and this site is fantastic.

Old 12-06-05, 02:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drowell
My wife had the great idea of doing a bathroom remodel, and after several $35k bids, I decided maybe my free time isn't worth so much afterall. Not completely new to construction as I just finished building a 20'x20' woodshop.

Currently we have Linoleum over 3/4" Ply on 2x10 Joists. She wants to put in Floor tile with a floor heating device and a no-berm shower.

If I put pull the linoleum add the backerboard, heating elements, thinset, and tile, my new floor height will be approximately 1" higher than before, which will be a major transition from the carpeted bedroom.

I have 2 thoughts on how to accomplish a smoother transition.

#1 Add a floor leveling compound to the bedroom area that will slope it up atleast 3/4" to the bathroom.

#2 Replace the original joists with smaller engineered joists.

Can you give me some additional thoughts on what to do? I have read the other threads and this site is fantastic.
IMO: number 1 will look terrible. (sorry, just my opinion)
number 2 will require an awful lot of work - though provide the best results.

Were it me... I would probably go with (or at least consider seriously) a "step up" into the bathroom, using the tile to form the edge of the step. Depending on the type and color of the tile, you might be able to find a decorative edging tile that would provide a smoother transition as well as draw attention to the fact that there is a step. I know you want to avoid the possibility of smashed toes......

Best I can offer... hopefully, someone else will have a better idea......

Old 12-06-05, 04:10 PM
vmweenie
Visiting Guest
Third option?

I'm with the Zster; the slope up would be awful - you'd hate it. Trust me on this.

Using tile for the step up isn't quite as bad but you'll end up with the bullnose edge showing under the door (if there is one) from the bedroom. With or without a door, you just KNOW *someone* is going to stub their toe on that tile. Repeatedly. DOH!

Electric radiant can be fairly thin. Try googling "radiant floor thinnest". Use 1/4" backerboard (you've got 3/4 ply right? 1/4" backer is plenty) and you could get it down to a little over 1/2" with the tile. Prefab transition pieces for 1/2" delta are plentiful. It would something less than half as offensive as a full inch transition.

Smaller joists would be really really best way to go but make it a much bigger project. Good luck!

Old 12-07-05, 08:50 AM
drowell
Visiting Guest
Thanks Zster & VMWeenie

I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am shooting for 5/8" thickness and then transition it at the threshold!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: