removeing a load bearing wall????

Old 12-13-05, 06:00 AM
walton
Visiting Guest

I want to remove a load bearing wall. Im looking to remove center load bearing wall downstairs that supports the upstairs floor trusses and replace it with a four inch I beam with posts. Its 16 foot section. My issue is part of the house has lower or short ceilings not giving me the option to go with any type of large header beam. I have an older cape cod that has had a large addtion built on the back. The roof was extended and in reality the back wall of the existing structure is the center of the house now. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 10:51 AM

Better get an engineer to look at it and find the options. Modifications to a home that has been added onto are tricky.

Because you want a small beam, you are going to need a lot of posts for strength and to reduce deflection. A four inch deep beam has little load carrying capacity if you are talking about carrying floor joists of any appreciable length. You will be surprised how much a deeper beam will cut down on the posts and the footings you will have to put under them.

Dick