Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Subfloor warped

Visiting Guest

12-15-05, 06:57 AM   #1  
ghentry
Subfloor warped

I have a two story house that is approximately 10 years old. Several years ago I noticed that there were a few areas where the subfloor (upstairs) was warping. Now I have quite a few areas that are this way in the bedroom and the squeaking is very bad.

My question is, is this normal for a house of this age, or does this possibly indicate a different type of problem (settling, etc.)?

I have not pulled the carpet back so I have no idea what type of flooring was used.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-15-05, 11:02 AM   #2  
RaleighL
I wouldn't be so quick to assume settlement issues. You might want to examine the subflooring from above and below the floor. Often times, the sound of the squeak is generated by a nail rubbing against wood, indicating that there is movement occurring between the joist and the sheathing.

How bad is the warping? Does the floor appear to bubble up at locations? The fact that you said "quite a few areas" would lead me to suspect the manner in which the floor sheathing was attached to the joists.

Visiting Guest

12-16-05, 05:06 AM   #3  
ghentry
How bad is the warping? Does the floor appear to bubble up at locations? The fact that you said "quite a few areas" would lead me to suspect the manner in which the floor sheathing was attached to the joists.
There are probably 3 or four areas in our bedroom that are problems. Just guessing (since there is carpet laid, I have no way of measuring for sure) I would say that the edge of the plywood may be raised up 1/2" or so in some spots.

MO

12-16-05, 07:36 AM   #4  
Have you noticed

any moisture? Any type of water leak can lead to this.

Visiting Guest

12-16-05, 07:57 AM   #5  
ghentry
No, not at all.

Search this Thread