Adding a 6x8 or 8x10 room inside garage

Old 12-17-05, 11:31 AM
kevinw
Visiting Guest

i am going to start working from home in about three months and was wondering what it would take to build a temperary office inside my 2 car garage. I would like to be able to still park one car inside the garage. I say it is temperary because i plan on selling my house within 1 to 2 years and will tear it down at that time. I have two young boys and a wife at home so working inside will not work. I live in a climate that doesn't get hot or cold so insulation won't be needed unless it will cut down on sound.

I will not be having clients stop by so it will be just for working out of and making calls.

Is it as simple as putting up 2x4's and drywalling both sides. Then framing a door.

What would you do in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 05:39 PM
Depends if you want to have it meet code or not. To build a room like that to code is difficult- you have significant electrical requirements, you have to insulate the garage walls and slab (might not be too much required in your area, but still likely SOME is required), all sorts of things. If you're just throwing together something and running an extension cord to it, then yeah, it should be fairly easy.

Insulation will help cut down noise, too.

Old 12-17-05, 06:15 PM

A practical and not sophiticated comment that may not be appreciated by the purists -

Make it very, very temporary. Put in a door if you need it. DO NOT put in any wiring (electrical or telephone). Use good, heavy duty extention cords (light, computer). If you can, avoid attaching it to your structure if you can (may mean an extra wall).

To be pickey, it could be construed as being a part of the home and therefore under the requirements for a habitable space and the associated occupancy requirements. If you only use it for several hours a day it really is not any different than having the guys over to your garage for a few beers and looking at the football game on TV you happen to have in the garage. The only difference is that you do not have a refrigerator. 6x10 is a far cry from what many people have finished off for temporary use.

Just an opinion.

Dick