Toenailing

Old 12-29-05, 03:15 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toenailing

I'm stick building the walls in my basements and started throwing studs up last night using a buddies Paslode Impulse nailer. I was surprised to find that I was having a lot of trouble toenailing the studs into the plates. seemed like I was having a hard time getting the angle right...are there any good tricks to this or is it pretty much pratice makes perfect? Couple of things, on the top of the stud I was turning the Paslode upside down to get what I thought was the right angle (which seemed to reduce the control I had on where the nail went)...is that how the pros do it? I also tried 2 3/8" and 3" nails, I seemed to have better luck with the 3 " nails at a shallower angle. Would an air nailer be any easier to use or would it be about the same?

Old 12-30-05, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 725 Posts
Framing nails ought to be 3". I know what you mean about getting the angle right. The thing with the paslode is that you seem to have only one tooth to bite into the wood with, and you have to push pretty hard to compress the contact. So the tendency is to push at too much of an angle because if you go at it too steep (which is often the proper angle), that tooth slips out of the wood. You don't really have this problem with air framers because the contact is a 100 times more sensitive, and it has more teeth on it.

So if I was going to give you a helpful hint, it would be to push the framing nailer into the wood so that the tooth digs in about 1 1/4" away from the end of the stud. (so that the nail will be about 1" away from the end) Push the gun into the wood at whatever angle works best for you so that it doesn't slip. Then before you pull the trigger, tip the gun at more of an angle- about 30 degrees perhaps, bringing the top of the gun closer to the stud. You don't want to see the nail coming out the other side at all.

And wear some ear protection. You might not think it's a big deal, but those things are loud! and especially in a basement you could damage your ears. Also, your locale may have framing codes that specify how many nails (or what type) should be used. Generally, toenailing would involve nailing 2x on one side of the stud and 1x on the opposite side. If your wood is twisted, you can toenail in such a way that it twists the stud back where it needs to be by first nailing on opposite corners- or by hammering your nails a little after you've shot them in place. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: