Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Interior soffit duct/plumbing "head clearance"

VA

12-31-05, 03:18 PM   #1  
Interior soffit duct/plumbing "head clearance"

Happy New Year to all! (spending my eve tinkering)

Is there a minimum head clearance for a soffit? I am boxing in some plumbing etc. The clearance is 6'11" Please take a look at the picture and give some advice please.
Regards, FF

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo4iz1/

Sponsored Links

WA

12-31-05, 06:16 PM   #2  
Hi Fairway,

Just a few thoughts in reply:

1. frame a closet around the panels - yes, it can be done. If you do so, I suggest making it a comfortable size so you can do any future electrical service work necessary. Also, make sure there is plenty of light. I would avoid using the closet for storage unless things are organized well and away from the panels.

2. Overhead clearance - 6' 11" is fine, as long as your friends and family are all under 7-feet tall. Assuming 1/2-inch sheetrock on the ceiling, and 1-inch carpet & padding on the floor, the final clearance will be about 6' 9" or so. State and local codes vary by location, so you will have to check with a local contractor or other authority for exact clearance specs in your town. In my neck of the woods, 6' 6" is the minimum for finished space of this type.

3. PEX is a well designed option that has been available for several years now in most locations. Most local codes allow it to be used by contractors. I've seen PEX used a number of times in my town by various builders. So far, about 50% of contractors here will use it, but the majority still prefer rigid copper. I have heard of no major issues with PEX regarding reliability or overall performance. While I see no reason to change what you have, if you are concerned about the joints in your picture, you can always revert to a copper tee with a threaded piece at the end that connects to the PEX.

One last thought - what type of egress does the basement have? Safety first!

Have fun and best wishes.

Rick

VA

01-01-06, 07:32 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I still have some framing left to do and I've been "eye-balling" the panels as I work. I'll either put in a roomy utility closet or just put a hinged cabinet door there.
Seems I've heard 6'6" around here as well on ceiling heigth. I think I will only lose about an inch as I'm going to tile the floor so I should be right around 6'10".
I used PEX on my previous houses basement but had sweated the copper to plastic style fittings on. I used these this time as it was quicker and easier for me as I tend to struggle with soldering "wet lines" .... even with bread. The PEX tees have been on fro about 4 mnths with no leaks.

The basement has 3 exterior doors so I have plenty of egress routes!
Thanks for the advice. Regards, FF

WA

01-11-06, 11:07 PM   #4  
Hi fairway,

there are special "plumber pills" that you can use instead of bread to sweat wet pipes. They do a better job of keeping the pipe dry and they dissolve with no "sediment" to clog aereators.

best wishes!

Rick

01-14-06, 09:21 AM   #5  
Am I seeing those pics right????

It looks like the wall studs are 24" oc...?

Search this Thread