Roof Framing

Old 01-02-06, 06:07 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Framing

I will soon be framing a roof on and addition I am building. The roof will have two parts: a 10:12 gable roof with a 22' span, and an intersecting 10:12 roof with a 21' span. The unusual thing is that the intersecting roof is not perpendicular to the main roof. My dilemma is that I have been unable to find any reference (in print or on-line) regarding this issue, and I don't know how to compute the valley rafters or valley jacks.
Can anyone give me some guidance?
Thanks, JimBeam

Old 01-02-06, 08:25 PM
S
No use making your head hurt or beating the job into a loser. Complete all sides of the 22' span, set the ridge and hips for the 21', frame the common's, set 2x nailers for the outside jacks and valley jacks. (Gonna look like s##t).

Or you could create some interesting arch.
Set all the ridges and hips omitting the hip on the back side of the 22' where the short side of the 21' intersects, instead extend the ridge and common rafters for the 22' to near where the first common rafter on the short side of the 21' section will fall, and fill in with a cripple wall omitting the valley altogether.

Old 01-06-06, 02:11 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Jim - Take a trip to your local library. Most will have several books on carpentry that will answer your questions about roof framing. I have one of the old Audel series, "Complete Building Construction" that gives detailed instructions on all aspects of roof framing. I don't know if it is still in print. I would try Amazon.com.

Another thing to consider, if it fits your budget, might be roof trusses.

Old 01-12-06, 12:21 AM
another good reference book is "Roof Framing" by Marshall Gross. I got my copy a few years ago from Barns and Noble.

Best wishes.

Rick

Old 01-17-06, 07:45 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest
Old 01-17-06, 08:03 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: