Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

double 5/8" subfloor with tar paper in between???

Visiting Guest

01-11-06, 01:52 PM   #1  
biver
double 5/8" subfloor with tar paper in between???

In the course of a kitchen remodel in my 50's or 60's era home, I see that my subfloor in that room is a double layer of 5/8" plywood. There is tar paper tacked in between the two layers of plywood, and there is tar paper glued to the top (linoleum-type tile was glued on top of that).

I am going to replace the top layer of 5/8" plywood, cause I don't think I could scrape the gunk it off, as quickly as I could lay down a few sheets of plywood. (Yes, the second layer needs to be there to make it even with other areas of the house and kitchen, and no, I can't just lay the finish floor on top or preexisting finish floor; there are too many layers of finish floor piled up already by previous home owners)

Questions:
1) should I replace the tar paper separating the two layers of subfloor? I can't imagine why they did this, except maybe to reduce wood-on-wood creaking.

2) I plan to use 1/4" plywood as underlayment, on top of the 5/8" that I lay down. Should I also replace the tar paper above the second layer (under the finish floor). Can't imagine why they did this, except maybe as a type of underlayment (i.e. maybe they didn't have 1/4" underlayment back in those days).

Thanks in advance. I always appeciate the advice I get from this forum.
Aaron

Sponsored Links

01-11-06, 02:32 PM   #2  
Why are you going to use 1/4 underlayment on top of the 5/8?

You said that you need to put back the 5/8" to keep it even with the existing floors. Why not just get 5/8" underlayment and be done with it? Unless you need the 1/4" for something.

Joe Carola

Last edited by mattison; 01-15-06 at 02:55 AM. Reason: No need to quote entire post above.

Visiting Guest

01-11-06, 04:03 PM   #3  
biver
Mix and match

Thanks.

The top layer of 5/8" I am ripping up now must be underlayment.

However, this remodel has me expanding the kitchen. I am joining the double-5/8" floor with a 3/4" floor in another area of the kitchen-to-be. If I glued directly to the top layer of 5/8", then I would have to glue to the 3/4" subfloor elsewhere in the kitchen, and I am trying to avoid glueing the subfloor.

I'm not sure I'll need underlayment anyway, depending on what type of floor I get. Probably not.

I am still wondering if I should replace the tar paper between the two layers of 5/8"... Any ideas.

Group Moderator

NE

01-11-06, 04:30 PM   #4  
When tarpaper is used between a finished floor (like a wood floor, or old linoleum floors) and the subflooring, it is usually because they intended for it to be a cushion and a vapor barrier for the finished floor. I have no idea why they would have put tarpaper between the layers of 5/8, unless it is like you say, to cushion the 2 layers and reduce wood-wood movement and noises.

I suppose it would not hurt anything to put felt between your layers as you put it together again- felt is cheap and maybe those old timers knew something that we don't.

Regarding what type of underlayment you need, that doesn't just depend on the height you're trying to match. It depends more upon what type of flooring you plan on installing. It would be a good idea to figure out what type of flooring you'll have before going much farther. My reasoning is that if you plan on using ceramic tile, you would do it differently than if you were glueing down vinyl. If you're installing a laminate flooring like Pergo you could use a different method also- for instance- using 7/8" T&G OSB instead of 5/8 ply + 1/4 underlayment. Maybe some of the things discussed in the FLOORING forums would help you in this regard.

Visiting Guest

01-11-06, 09:17 PM   #5  
biver
Thanks, I will try putting the tar paper there.

As I said, I need the 5/8 subfl to match some 3/4 subfl elsewhere in the same room (with joists at a different height, but tops of subfls will line up). It is a complicated remodel, on top of previous remodels.

01-15-06, 02:15 AM   #6  
The tar paper between the two sheets of flooring is to prevent the two sheets of wood from rubing together and causing squeaks when you walk across the floor.

01-15-06, 05:21 AM   #7  
Posted By: biver Thanks, I will try putting the tar paper there.

As I said, I need the 5/8 subfl to match some 3/4 subfl elsewhere in the same room (with joists at a different height, but tops of subfls will line up). It is a complicated remodel, on top of previous remodels.
You don't need tarpaper in between the sheats. I've never seen it done and I've never done before. Your first post, you said that you will be putting 1/4" on top, why?

Search this Thread