Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

worn out subfloor repair?

Visiting Guest

01-14-06, 12:40 AM   #1  
dreamchipper
worn out subfloor repair?

Hi, I have a house built in 1955 that has beautiful oak plank floors everywhere except the slate laminate floored kitchens and baths. These floors are part of the reason I wanted this house. Unfortunately, after getting into the crawlspace and having a good look around, I'm seeing that the subfloor is in very poor condition, especially in the high traffic hallway. Is there a solid, reliable way to reinforce these subfloors for a long-term (several years, anyway) solution or should I resign myself to pulling up every last original oak plank and putting down subfloors throughout the house? This is a one-level house and I am in high and dry Colorado. I've seen articles on reinforcing and bridging joists but I'm not sure if it will do the job right? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links

01-14-06, 08:35 AM   #2  
Posted By: dreamchipper Hi, I have a house built in 1955 that has beautiful oak plank floors everywhere except the slate laminate floored kitchens and baths. These floors are part of the reason I wanted this house. Unfortunately, after getting into the crawlspace and having a good look around, I'm seeing that the subfloor is in very poor condition, especially in the high traffic hallway. Is there a solid, reliable way to reinforce these subfloors for a long-term (several years, anyway) solution or should I resign myself to pulling up every last original oak plank and putting down subfloors throughout the house? This is a one-level house and I am in high and dry Colorado. I've seen articles on reinforcing and bridging joists but I'm not sure if it will do the job right? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Can you get in there to glue and screw blocking in between the joists and into the bottom of the sub-floor and then screw the blocks on an angle into the joists?

01-14-06, 09:08 AM   #3  
Is your only complaint that the floor appears worn down from inside of the crawl space?

Is there any structural issues you are having with the floors? Spongey, creaking, unleveled, or any others? Is the floor moving on you causing the hardwood to swell or crack?

Or is it just that you are not happy with the way it looks from underneath?

Search this Thread