Open wall and add door for under stairs storage

Old 01-16-06, 01:53 PM
mcannon-gso
Visiting Guest
Open wall and add door for under stairs storage

When my house was built there is a big dead space under my stairs. I will be opening the wall to create a storage space. I was wondering what the best type of door would be to use. The access door will be in the garage and I would want it as tight as possible so it does not cause drafts..

Any suggestions ??

Thank you in advance

--Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 02:01 PM
Exterior Fire-Rated Door

Because the door will be between the garage and living space, you will need to use a door capable of providing fire containment should one start in the garage.

Building codes normally require a minimum solid wood door not less than 1 3/8th inches thick; A solid or honeycomb steel door not less than 1 3/8th inches thick; or a 20-minute fire rated door.

A flush insulated pre-hung steel door with a U-.35 or lower would serve both insulating and firestopping requirements

You will also need to install drywall on all interior sides of the 'closet' including fastened directly under the stairs for firestopping.

Old 01-16-06, 03:22 PM
mcannon-gso
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the advise.

I was planning on drywalling the inside and under stairs after I insulated them.
My only grey area is the door. This door will be a smaller than usual entry door and I would need one in the right size or one that I can cut down..

Any suggestions on the type of door that i can cut and still have the fire rating necessary ??

Old 01-16-06, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by mcannon-gso
Any suggestions on the type of door that i can cut and still have the fire rating necessary ??
Fiscaly, you'll want to use a "BOOK" (standard door), door and preferably a unit door and jamb because they are rated as such with the approved gasket.
Short of that you can purchase solid, rabbited, jamb stock, a solid core wood door, a gasket kit and a self-closing device. The problem with "cutting" a rated door is that the wood frame which contains the "fill" material, is part and parcel of the rating.

Use 5/8" drywall under the stairwell, if it is not already.