Framing around two part foundation wall

Old 01-26-06, 10:55 AM
Framing around two part foundation wall

I'm framing out my basement and have hit a snag. The top 3 feet of the foundation is cement block, the bottom is 5ft of stone covered with stucco. The stone section sticks out about 8 inches past the block section. What I'd like to do is create two separate walls... one for the top, one for the bottom, and connect them in the middle so that I'll be able to install a 12" shelf. The other problem is that the top of the rock part of the foundation is very uneven (as much as two or three inches from the high spot to the low spot) and it slopes downward at about a 20 degree angle. I can build the bottom section without any trouble, but how do I keep the top section from "hanging" from the joists because of the uneveness of what it's sitting on? Would shims cut at angles be OK, or maybe a 2x2 attached to the cement block just above the rock part of the foundation?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I think I'm slowly going insane trying to figure out the right way to do this!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 04:22 PM
You do have a problem, but it can be easily solvable. Your just thinking backwards. I would start from the bottom up, build a nice straight wall , then
attach a 2x12 to the top of your short wall if you want a 12" shelf, block it up by the concrete wall, by gluing a stud on the wall, then build up the last 3 feet. This is kind of hard to explain, but I would start building a short section, and it will all come together. Good Luck