New wall parallel to existing joists

Old 01-27-06, 11:58 AM
New wall parallel to existing joists

I am buiding a closet. It encloses an existing area in a room. Three sides have existing walls and I am building the forth wall witrh a door to make a walk in closet. The wall length is going to be about 10 feet. The problem is that the wall runs the same direction as the existing joists so there is nothing to attach the header to. Do I need to open the ceiling and put another joist in at the location of the wall? Do I go into the crawl space and add a joist at that location or put in cross pieces from the existing joists? I have a couple of books but have not found this situation explained or what to do. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
If you plan on taking the drywall off your ceiling, your best bet would be to install blocking (2x4 or 2x6 framing laid flat) between your existing floor joists. Once the blocking is attached (every 24" OC or so) then you will have something to nail your top plate to.

If you can get to the ceiling from above, you would not need to remove the drywall- just install the blocking from above. The floor is not as critical since you can nail that 2x4 to the floor. If it was load bearing, it would not be able to sit between joists. An interior closet wall should be fine.

Old 01-28-06, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by walk500miles
I am buiding a closet. It encloses an existing area in a room. Three sides have existing walls and I am building the forth wall witrh a door to make a walk in closet. The wall length is going to be about 10 feet. The problem is that the wall runs the same direction as the existing joists so there is nothing to attach the header to. Do I need to open the ceiling and put another joist in at the location of the wall? Do I go into the crawl space and add a joist at that location or put in cross pieces from the existing joists? I have a couple of books but have not found this situation explained or what to do. Thanks for any advice.
This is a non bearing wall. All you have to do is nail the shoe down into your floor and glue your top plate to the ceiling and the two end studs glue to the walls and nail to the shoe and top plate.

It's a 10' wall. Buy 10' studs for the top plate so it's one piece and then cut your wall studs nice and tight and once the glue sets in that wall wont move. You don't need a big header for the door. All you need is double 2x4s flat with cripples above to make the header.

Joe Carola

Old 01-30-06, 04:45 AM
As XSsleeper mentioned, add some 2x4 blocking and secure your top plate to this. Without the wall being secured properly, your drywall will eventually crack at the joint near the ceiling. Glue is fine for some application, but certainly not for framing.

Search this Thread