Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water seeping into bedroom - HELP!!!

01-29-06, 05:30 PM   #1  
water seeping into bedroom - HELP!!!

hello all! i have a big problem with a starter house i purchased a few years ago and figured i'd come here for some sage advice.

the problem is simple: water is seeping into the northeast corner of the bedroom whenever we have a heavy rain. i purchased a dehumidifier last summer to help remedy the situation, but as i'm sure you've figured out by now the problem has gotten out of control. the carpet permanently smells like mildew in that corner and i'm sure once i tear-down the wallpaper, the drywall will be rotted.

from what i understand, the room was an addition and it's obvious from just giving it a once over that it was poorly constructed. i have no idea what foundation they laid. the house does not have a basement and the crawlspace does not extend underneath that room. i'm assuming it must be concrete slab.

does anyone have any advice on how i should tackle this problem short of hiring a contractor? or can you perhaps point me to any books/videos that may address problems like this?

thanks in advance for listening and if you need any other info, please ask and i'll gladly oblige it.

thanks,
jeff

Sponsored Links

01-29-06, 06:29 PM   #2  
Lot's of Caulk...

It's impossible to determine anything without seeing things--but one thing is most likely--water is coming in from somewhere.

Option 1: Leaks when it rains....Look outside. Is water pooling anywhere around exterior? Depending on your siding--is flashing pulled away or missing--water could be collecting and getting in from a seam somewhere. Roof--check there if you don't find the culprit elsewhere.

Option 2: From the subfloor. If it's from there, you might begin to have bigger problems than just replacing the carpet. But meanwhile--if your problem isn't in option 1, then pull up the carpet and find where the water is coming in. If the water is coming up from below, you might not have any wood rot--but if it was coming in from the side or above, you might have some wood rot in your framing etc.

Doesn't sound like fun does it? Sorry to hear about it. Buying a dehumidifier might dry things out slightly around your carpet etc--but that water has been sitting behind your walls for years--the dehumidifier wouldn't dry that out--you should have jumped on that problem right away....but you probably don't need me telling you that.

01-30-06, 04:48 AM   #3  
If it is just a concrete slab, then what is the grading like in that corner of the house? Does the ground slope towards the house?

01-30-06, 05:19 PM   #4  
it's worse than i thought

hey guys....

thanks for the advice. unfortunately, the situation is far worse than i had anticipated... on several levels. i ripped up the carpet in that corner this morning, and as i expected the sub floor was rotted out. what i didn't expect was that there was no slab... no foundation... no vapor barrier.... nada. just sub-flooring on top of dirt. what were they thinking? i'm most definitely over my head here. looks like it's time to call a contractor.

TX

01-30-06, 08:21 PM   #5  
It's probably time to look at completely removing the addition. Whatever is cooking out there in the addition will affect the rest of the house.
I would also recommend creating some type of drain and gravel to carry off any rainfall that comes near it or off its roof. You have a wooden tent there, AKA a shed.

Search this Thread