header switchout

Old 02-13-06, 03:57 PM
Question header switchout

Greetings,

I intend to remove a 5-0x3-0 window from a basement and replace it with a
5-0x6-8 double door. The new door will lead out onto a patio. The opening will need to be elevated about 12" above the basement floor. To accomodate the new door the present double 2x10 header wil need to be replaced with a steel beam of shallower depth. A 6"I-beam will do the job, but I would like to have just a bit more room. Would a W-5 or 5"H beam do the job? Just out of curiosity, what is the load capacity of a 5' double 2x10 header?

Thanks, mjcraner

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 07:14 PM
You don't supply nearly enough info to assist you.

First, if the wall is non-bearing, no header may be required at all. You could simply replace the header with a header of your choice that will span the distance and meet your height requirements.

Second, it's not possible to know what size girder you would need if it is a bearing wall without knowing how many floors, need to be supported above the opening, the width of the structure, the snow loads, and a lot of other information.

A header made of 2 2x10s can vary in span from 7'0" on an exterior wall with a roof and ceiling on and one center bearing floor at 30psf snow load with a building width of 20 feet to 3'7" for an exterior bearing wall with a roof, ceiling and 2 clear span floors 50psf snow load and a building width of 36 feet.

Only a qualified contractor, architect, engineer or code official who can assess your structure and its combined loads can help you.

Old 02-13-06, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by mjcraner
Greetings,

I intend to remove a 5-0x3-0 window from a basement and replace it with a
5-0x6-8 double door. The new door will lead out onto a patio. The opening will need to be elevated about 12" above the basement floor. To accomodate the new door the present double 2x10 header wil need to be replaced with a steel beam of shallower depth. A 6"I-beam will do the job, but I would like to have just a bit more room. Would a W-5 or 5"H beam do the job? Just out of curiosity, what is the load capacity of a 5' double 2x10 header?

Thanks, mjcraner
Did an Architect or Engineer tell you that a 6" I-beam would do the job? If so, why don't you ask them if a 5 would work? This is not something that anyone on the internet can answer or anyone who has not seen your house that is qualified to give you an answer.