Sub-floor problems

Old 02-14-06, 02:21 PM
Sub-floor problems

My husband and I are doing a remodel on our 1973 single story, ranch, modular home. We have taken up the dining & utility room carpet, kitchen linoleum (the backing didn't all come up) and 1/2 bath tile--the plan is to have the same vinyl flooring put down in this entire area as it will be continuous from one room to another. The new vinyl will have a 1/4" underlayment put down first.

The sub-floor appears to be 3/4" plywood and we have the following problems:
1. The kitchen has a water damaged sub-floor where the refrigerator was.
2. The 1/2 bathroom and kitchen sink area are in a different 'piece' of house than the rest of the kitchen thus there is a difference in the height of the sub-floor, ranging from 1/8" to just shy of 1/4".
3. There are two 1" diameter holes all the way through the sub-floor (one in the dining room the other in the kitchen).

How do you take out the old sub-floor and put in new? Can you just replace the bad spots? How do we make the two pieces of flooring the same height?Can the two holes be covered with something very thin before the new underlayment is put down? Any advise on these issues one would be wonderful!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 04:43 PM
You can easily replace the damaged area of your subfloor. Just cut it out with a circular saw. Cut the area large enough to ensure that the edges of the "patch" are supported by the floor joists. To avoid cutting into the joists set the saw blade depth to the thickness of the subfloor.
Not knowing the specifics of the floor you are trying to level makes it hard to recommend a fix. It sounds like a leveling compound might do the job.
If it's less than 1/8" I would just use a couple of layers of rosin paper or roofing felt between the subfloor and the new underlayment to make up the difference.

Old 02-14-06, 08:17 PM
I did this with a friend of mine several years ago. Just set the circular saw to a depth of 1" for 3/4" subfloor. However, the circ saw won't cut under a wall and stops short of it.

For the holes, you should be able to get some wooden pole (such as closet pole) to shave down and use as a plug, then glue it in with construction adhesive. If the fit is loose, cut a square of galvanized flashing about 3" square and nail it to the top of the plug with a roofing nail. Drive the glued plug into the hole until the flashing is flat on the floor, then nail down the flashing at the corners.

A framing nailer and chop saw is just the ticket for replacing the damaged subfloor. You will need to add nailing blocks between floor joists and on the side of floor joists next to walls. Then the replacement subfloor can be installed.

My friend's house had shiplap installed on the diagonal, so there were many cuts to piece back in the subfloor.

Old 02-15-06, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by jean b
How do you take out the old sub-floor and put in new? Can you just replace the bad spots? How do we make the two pieces of flooring the same height?Can the two holes be covered with something very thin before the new underlayment is put down?
If the existing floor is screwed down, then just unscrew it. If it was nailed, you can either cut it out as previously suggested or possibly pry it up.

Yes, you can replace just the bad spots...but don't be cheap and try to cut out small areas. The bigger the piece you take out then the more solid the replacement piece will be.

You will need to apply a floor leveller on all subfloor joints or else these will show through the vinyl flooring.

Old 02-15-06, 06:37 AM
Thanks so much for the information. I knew it couldn't be as difficult as my husband thought it would be.