mobile home subfloor

Old 02-21-06, 12:33 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mobile home subfloor

Hello, my faince' said for me to buy 3/4 plywood to replace the bathroom floor around the leaking toliet. Is that the correct size first of all? Also do I nail it down or screw it down? Second how can I add support under the toliet and tubs to the joist below the house? I am a first timer if you couldn't tell and a female. I would like to add supports to the joist through the underflooring because I am selling the mobile home and don't want any risk, but I can't afford high cost. What would you recommend?

Old 02-22-06, 04:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Most MH floors are constructed of 5/8" particle board. It is defenitly best to use plywood for a replacement. 3/4" plywood is standard flooring material but if you use it the bath floor will be slightly higher than the rest of the MH. Personally I would use 5/8"

MH floor joist are 2x6s You can add extra 2xs for added support. It may even be necesarry in order to have something to nail/screw to. You can use nails or screws, whichever you prefer.

It is a fairly simple job and shouldn't cost a lot. It is a lot of work, especially tearing out the old. The particle board is stapled down and may also be glued. Once the old is out and the joists cleaned of adhesive and staples, the rest is easy.

Old 02-22-06, 06:55 PM
J
Or you could leave a burning cigarette under some drapes and go shopping. 2 hours later pass go and collect $200!!!

Old 03-07-06, 09:01 AM
M
Originally Posted by kanakex3
Hello, my faince' said for me to buy 3/4 plywood to replace the bathroom floor around the leaking toliet. Is that the correct size first of all? Also do I nail it down or screw it down? Second how can I add support under the toliet and tubs to the joist below the house? I am a first timer if you couldn't tell and a female. I would like to add supports to the joist through the underflooring because I am selling the mobile home and don't want any risk, but I can't afford high cost. What would you recommend?

We have a 1992 mobile home. 3/4 plywood is standard in our home. We also had a leaking toilet. We pulled the toilet up, cut out all the wet wood and replaced with new same size plywood. We did have to add new lumber under the home because the water damage had gotten to the boards below the floor. After reinstalling the toilet, we painted the floor with fence and deck stain to help keep it water resistant. The green paint they had on the boards to help keep it water resistant didn't help one bit. It allowed it to soak into the wood where the bees wax ring is. Therefore we didn't realize we had a leak until the toilet started to come loose from the floor! It took my husband about 4 hours to do the whole job.

Old 06-16-10, 01:01 PM
D
MH floor replacement

My mother lives in a older MH and her floor needs to be replaced. The particle board is gone in some places due to getting wet, and I think that is the sub-flooring. We want te replace the flooring, but without some of the sub-flooring, how do we fix it.

Thanks

Old 06-16-10, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! After you tear out all the bad flooring, and I suggest doing it all to attain a levelness across the home, install sistered, or new joisting and new Advantech subflooring which is 3/4" thick, nominally.

Old 06-17-10, 04:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
It's pretty common on MHs to just need to replace the sub floor around the exterior walls and bath rm. What I usually do is cut out what needs to go and replace with the plywood/osb the same thickness [be sure to measure where the particle board hasn't swelled] usually 5/8" and then laminate the entire floor with 3/8" or 1/2" plywood. As Larry noted you'll need to replace/sister floor joists as needed. MHs usually have 2x6 floor joists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: