Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Identifying a load-bearing wall

Visiting Guest

02-28-06, 01:05 PM   #1  
darinstarr
Identifying a load-bearing wall

Hello-

My wife and I are remodeling an addition to our home. The house was originally built in 1900, and this addition to the southwest corner was added sometime in the last 20-30 years, if I had to guess. You enter the addition from the master bedroom, walk through it and you exit to the dining room.

The area is 17'x12' and consists of a laundry room (8'x12') and a pantry (9'x12'). There is a wall with a doorway that separates the two rooms that we are considering removing. This wall runs parallel with the floor joists and rafters along the 12' edge that the two rooms share.

The logical side of my brain says that because the wall runs parallel to the floor and roof framing, it shouldn't have any structural significance. But I'm not really sure, so I ask. If it isn't completely obvious, I'll probably seek a professional opinion before I proceed with anything.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

02-28-06, 08:38 PM   #2  
"I'll probably seek a professional opinion before I proceed with anything."

One of the recommendations among the voluminious suggestion on this subject from this site, and a good practice.

Search this Thread