Drilling through a box sill

Old 03-07-06, 04:38 PM
Drilling through a box sill

Hi,

I hope I'm using the right terminology. I need to vent a dryer out between my floor joists to the outside. Can I go straight through the box sill (the lumber nailed to the ends of the floor joists)? This is in a daylight basement going out the bottom of the main floor. It would be a hole in the center of the sill just big enough for the aluminum dryer vent to pass through.

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-06, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sure. That is the way basement dryers are ducted. It doesn't weaken the structure because there are joists on each side.

Old 03-07-06, 09:21 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Old 03-08-06, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by biederboat
Hi,

I hope I'm using the right terminology. I need to vent a dryer out between my floor joists to the outside. Can I go straight through the box sill (the lumber nailed to the ends of the floor joists)? This is in a daylight basement going out the bottom of the main floor. It would be a hole in the center of the sill just big enough for the aluminum dryer vent to pass through.

Thanks,
Mark
This piece if wood is called a "rim joists". Your approach is correct. Add expanding foam or exterior caulking to seal around the pipe after installation and make sure your pipe is insulated on the interior of the home to prevent condensation.