Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Termite damaged joists and water damaged bathrooms and laundry room

Old 03-08-06, 09:14 AM

I have recently purchased a house for investment/live in purposes. I plan to upgrade and live in the ome until I am ready to sell. The previous owners were slobs and took very poor care of their investment. Several joists have been eaten and rotted by termites, it has been suggested that I replace or sister the joists. I also have 2 bathrooms both need full gut outs and remodel. I need one good functioning bathroom in order to move in. I have to further evaluate the location of the termite damaged joists to determine if they are directly below the areas that desperately need to be removed and redone. My guess is these areas would need to be supported from the underneath due to the water damage that has occured and continued for who knows how long. It seems to make sense to replace/sister the joists under at least one bathroom so that when I tear out I will have a solid joist in order to attach subfloor to. I will evaluate this situation today to provide more details regarding the location of the damage.
Any suggestions are grealty appreciated. Where should I start? Am I on the right track? Thank you in advance for your response.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-06, 09:29 AM
Not sure how extensive your damage is but this stuff works wonders:

http://www.abatron.com/cgi-bin/shop/...51.5471&pid=35

Its structural, dries stronger than the wood, and easy to work with woodworking tools. I used it to rebuild the ends of a 2x8 beam very successfully.